Thread: Nikon D500 sensor issue

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon D500 sensor issue

Within the last two days, I posted a picture of a Dunlin that exhibited a reticular lattice pattern in some areas of the image. I will post another image in avian which has the same pattern. Both Daniel and Artie suggested I post a sky image to see if this pattern shows up. So here for this forum, I will show the two pictures in which this pattern is quite visible and a sky shot both raw and processed with my typical workflow. I see the pattern in the sky images but it is very subtle. The last three images were taken at iso-2000, 500 mm PF with 1.4 extender, F8 for the Hummingbird picture and F-16 for the sky shots. All pictures taken with D 500, tripod for the sky images, processing with DxO photolab 2 (including prime noise engine), Topaz adjust, vignette with ON1, TK sharpening action at 10%. I have sent this information along to Nikon.
    Name:  Dunlin-4-copy.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  463.3 KB

Name:  Danger-gummy-birds-2a-Edit-copy-BP.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  564.0 KB

Name:  sensor-pattern-RAW-2-copy.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  586.4 KB RAW

Name:  sensor-pattern-tif-processed-2-copy.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  564.7 KBProcessed

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see it on the first 2 processed bird photos, I do not see it on the f16 blank photos.
    (you have a clean sensor!).
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

there is nothing wrong with your sensor. the last image just has vignetting that has been poorly corrected by the software you are using thus the blotches, vignetting is from the lens not the sensor and it is normal. You are using a lot of unnecessary filters in processing (topaz, vingetter prime noise etc.) these might be screwing up the files, before making a conclusion use a standard simple raw converter (Nikon capture or just the basic ACR) and just do a neutral RAW conversion.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash, there is definitely something going on in the first two images (not vignetting or post-processing). You have to look carefully, but there are faint square patterns in the oof areas (they do not show in the sky pictures, interestingly). See above the dunlin's back, and above the right hummer's bill. You may have to stare for a few seconds, but once you see them they are apparent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Hi Arash, there is definitely something going on in the first two images (not vignetting or post-processing). You have to look carefully, but there are faint square patterns in the oof areas (they do not show in the sky pictures, interestingly). See above the dunlin's back, and above the right hummer's bill. You may have to stare for a few seconds, but once you see them they are apparent.

I see them now, it is odd since sensor read out is either horizontal or vertical. I'd still try to use a different RAW convertor to see if they disappear if not contact Nikon.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 08-20-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    there is nothing wrong with your sensor. the last image just has vignetting that has been poorly corrected by the software you are using thus the blotches, vignetting is from the lens not the sensor and it is normal. You are using a lot of unnecessary filters in processing (topaz, vingetter prime noise etc.) these might be screwing up the files, before making a conclusion use a standard simple raw converter (Nikon capture or just the basic ACR) and just do a neutral RAW conversion.
    From Nikon:
    Response from Angela M.
    Thank you for contacting Nikon.

As per your email you're seeing patterns from the sensor.
    This is not something that has been heard of and if you are having issues with all of your images than it might be a good idea to have your camera looked at.
    I am including service information for you below.
    Name:  Danger-gummy-birds-4-copy-AH.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  591.1 KB
    This is the next frame in the series processed only with DxO PhotoLab 2 for global NR, Nik Define for BG NR, and ACR for color rendition and cast removal. No blurring. No other software.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I got Moe (David's) NEF file, the image was severely underexposed and dark I pulled up the exposure and as I expected there are no patterns.the artifacts seen is caused by the junk RAW converter and the filters, not the sensor which cannot cause square patterns.

The support gal who responded from Nikon is not an engineer and does not understand the image sensor or the read out scheme, if you send your camera in the technician or the engineer who will evaluate the camera will just confirm it is within spec and send it back to you, it would be a waste of time and shipping.

original underexposed by 2 stops

100% crop from the "problem" area RAW conversion + 2.5EV capture one pro, no artifacts. your camera is good.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 08-24-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: posters name is David not Moe (alias)

Visit my blog

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arash! This is good news that is fully preventable now that Moe knows that his camera is fine.