Thread: Dunlin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dunlin

Another shorebird from the Pacific Northwest coast taken at the end of April 2019. This is an image taken with the D 500 and 500 mm PF in which on close examination of the background, one can see the reticular pattern of the sensor. The same pattern is visible in the raw file but not as much. The pattern becomes much more visible with noise reduction applied to the background. No blurring of the background other than that from noise reduction with Nik strong noise filter. Has anybody seen this before with a D 500 or other cameras and are there any solutions? I've seen this before in other images and I'm unable to find any references on the web. thanks for any help...

Iso-800, 500 mm PF, F6 .3, 3200th, D 500, handheld, 60% of full frame, DxO photo lab 2, Adobe camera raw, TK sharpening action at 10%, Nik strong noise filter on background only, overcast and somewhat foggy.

Name:  Dunlin-4-copy.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  463.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Moe:

Nice pose, angle in frame, like the rippled foreground, shooting angle.

I have never noticed a problem with the D500 background, but will pay more attention to it.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty wild, I can see the pattern you are mentioning...
    Never noticed on any files of mine, I have no idea what this is.
    I would have noticed. My 300 f2.8 lens bokeh is about the smoothest
    out there, it seems like it would have shown with the D500.
    I also have the 500 pf and I have not notice with that either.
    The Bokeh at 5.6 is not near as smooth so it would be harder to see but I have
    not noticed.
    This looks like a camera flaw.
    Arash Hazeghi would be the person to answer.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, I would probably clean up the eye a little. I haven't noticed this pattern with any lens on my either of my D500's.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have D500 for quite long time. This is my second D500 body (first one was sold) and I have not noticed the patterns in both the bodies.

Ver nice image. Raised foot adds to the image.
    I do feel that eye is slightly not in focus or sharp.
    I would have stopped down a both more on this image.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The breeding plumage and the raised foot are great. Love the little ripples in the sand as well. Nice and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Good image. I would have stopped down a little more (who am I kidding, I probably wouldn't have!). Please let us know what you find out about that reticular pattern. I really had to look to see it, but once you do.... I'll be looking for that in my photos, now, too! Might be worth starting a thread in the forum if you haven't already.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the dunlin. Nice stepping pose.
    Agree that the eye is not tack sharp but definitely not an image killer! When birds are close I try to be at 7.1 or higher but it is so easy to be an armchair critic when not the one lying on the ground!!
    I am not sure what you mean by reticular pattern? That means (to me) a lacework patter or netlike pattern and I do not see that in the BG.
    After close inspection I see some vertical lines spaced regularly in the BG, more prominent behind the bird. Is that what you are describing?
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see the faint squares, especially above left. Is that recurring regularly? If you take a picture of the sky I imagine you'll see these really well? That is certainly not normal and worth having the gear checked out. As for the image itself, nice walking pose from this Dunlin. Sharp (except the bill tip that seems to have masking "blur" around it). Great colours, low angle, beach floor.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too see the vertical lines in the mid-right portion of the frame but doubt that the problem is due to a given camera body model. I too would love to see some image of the sky made with different bodies and lenses ... If the pattern shows, there is definitely something wrong with something.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.