Thread: Barred Owl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barred Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Whooo, Whooooo, Who cooks for you... that call led me to this owl high in a Live Oak tree. Image captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED + Nikon 1.4 teleconverter III, image captured at 550mm
    1/250 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 500 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Depending on what is above the frame I would have gone for verticals here (perhaps you did also). Good looking Barred Owl in a great setting with those mosses. A bit steep, but they don't always perch low eh!

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Depending on what is above the frame I would have gone for verticals here (perhaps you did also). Good looking Barred Owl in a great setting with those mosses. A bit steep, but they don't always perch low eh!
    Dan, thanks for viewing and commenting. Here is a vertical, most times have one on hand if appropriate. At Circle B one has to stay on the trails and the owls are mostly up in the branches so difficult to overcome a steep angle.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love that Circle B mossy environment. NIce look at him. The repost has the advantage of getting rid of the oof moss blob on the left, but I like the OP too, maybe even more. Nice work.

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the vertical one. The framing and all that moss are great. Nice how the owl is looking past you.

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Nice work. I think I like your OP framing better than the verticle. So much texture, depth, and environment, and the owl pops. The bright sky of the LHS does compete with the owl, however. You could afford to crop off the right 1/3. With what's remaining drop the exposure on everything, but raise it selectively on the owl. I suppose, alternative to that, globally raising the exposure on the entire image might have a nice effect.

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This has the classic Circle B environment!
    Gotta love those spanish mosses!
    Vertical crop is the one for me!
    I would sharpen the owl a bit more.

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the vertical crop much better. Had the owl looked down at you a bit the angle of inclination would have appeared much less than it was ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

15. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post