Thread: Slender-billed Gull

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Slender-billed Gull

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was shot at a local dock during sunset. I wonder if everyone else sees a weird green/cyan color cast to the water and the wings or if it's just my browser. My screen's calibrated, but this issue seems to have popped up over the past couple of weeks and it's incredibly frustrating. Adobe LR and PS do display colors accurately though so I wonder what the issue is.

All CC and suggestions are appreciated

EXIF
    Camera - Nikon D850
    Focal Length - 420mm
    Aperture - f/7.1
    Shutter Speed - 1/4000s
    ISO - 1600
    Handheld
    Manual
    Crop - 80% appx. of full frame

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very similar to the Australian Silver Gull. Not sure about the cast but it does look a bit flat. Nice even light.

3. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice in flight shot. Should be easy to adjust the colour of the water in pp. I'd also increase the brighness of the BG a little...it's a little dark. TFS

5. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Adi, lovely gull, nice wing position and sharpness. I have seen the color cast before, even worse than this image. In my experience it happens when there is strong reflected light form water or in my backyard from the lawn. When the subject is too close the reflected light seems to overpower the automatic white balance. I have tried without much success to remove the color cast. I tried the eyedropper in Lightroom to set the white balance using the white head of the bird but was undecided if it helped not knowing the true color of the bird and what the light was like when you captured the image. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

7. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful flight capture, Aditya. Excellent wing position, fine detail, and I like the neatly tucked in feet.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

9. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely sharp view of this species. Exposure looks good, and there is good detail in the body and wings. Near wing has some shadow, but this shot s more about the soft lighting on the bird's face. I have experienced the color cast issues
    you describe, specifically when the bird is low over water or grass. I fid it difficult to spot - until someone else pints it out - and sometime a headache to fix. But I am not that good at processing to start!

11. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I keep looking at this and have to say that had you not mentioned the color cast I would not have noticed it at all.
    I love the exposure on the whites and the way the wet chest feathers create that line against the dry head feathers.
    Nice and sharp with beautiful light.

13. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't find the color cast very noticeable and would not have found it unless you pointed it out. I think the exposure is fine and the light looks quite pleasing. I don't think I would change anything perhaps except maybe lighten up the beak half a stop to more closely match the feet.

15. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this super-sharp flight shot. The color of the water certainly looks within the natural range to me.

with love and thanks for your membership support.

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

17. Thanks Aditya Sridhar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone! For some reason, my laptop exaggerated the color cast outside of PS and LR. It had something to do with Dell's firmware updates so a roll-back fixed the problem to a certain extent.

Moe: This species' beak is noticeably darker than the feet, at least in Bahrain. Could be a regional variation but I'm not sure.