Thread: Juvenile Lion

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

A young lion watches the pride lazing in the grasslands of Masai Mara.
    5D IV
    100-400 II
    1/800
    f/5.6
    ISO 3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev the content of this image does look very good . Nicely framed and the crop works perfect , the curious look to the rest of the pride is quite nice .
    The pose is cool and works well in combo with crop .

From the IQ and editing POV ... i am not so fuzzed about the image .
    At least the colors in the subject are looking slightly off IMHO . IQ has suffered for my taste for whatever reason .... detail is not fine and the fur looks crunchy . Is this a large crop ?
    Regarding sharpening reduce the impact of the " white halo " by lowering the opacity of the halo . " Blend IF " would also help ....by splitting the left slider ( underlying layer ) and moving it to the right , at least to the 128 point on the scale .
    If you do not know ...just ask Dr Google for the " Blend If " function and what is possible with this .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I think there is some issue with the PP here. This was processed in DPP and then in PS CC. a very small crop, maybe 10% max. The RAW is sharp. I think the colours and sharpening is the issue. I have ordered the calibration kit for my iMac 21 4K moitor.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Another cute little cub, wonderful pose, good POV, framing is great and I am glad you got him 'in the clear' with no grasses across his face.

I agree with Andreas, subject does appear a bit crunchy and lacking fine detail - had you processed this in LR I would suggest you go back on contrast and texture, but I am not familiar with DPP. Or maybe it is indeed a sharpening issue?

In terms of colour the cub's fur looks a bit unnatural ( leans towards orange) especially the face. Achieving the correct WB and not overdoing saturation will help correct this issue. If you go back to your 'Curious Cub' image, have a look at the colours and compare as I think there you were spot on

IMO this image has great potential and if the RAW looks good then definitely worth revisiting.

Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely week-end

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... the calibration kit does not help with the sharpening/ detail / IQ .... just helps with the consistency of colour and very marginally with tone .

I think the issue starts with DPP and first sharpening / NR settings , then you have to look how is the contrast in DPP and last but not least your orange is very often visible in your posts . This is an issue with the CR2 files in almost any converter . Just drop the oranges !!!! in every file with warm colors !! I drop them always by - 2 and change the hue to + 1 ( based on neutral picture style ) If you create the WB on the warm side it does become even worst !!!
    Without knowing your sharpening settings in DPP , i suggest to use " sharpness " instead of " USM " set to 2-3 ( not higher !!!! ) . I always set NR to 0 in DPP ( luminance ) ..... chrominance is set to Auto . I do my NR in PS .... with Neat image .

Also interesting to what Kelvin you calibrate your IMac ....and how light/ dark you calibrate the screen . All does have somehow influence on the image and its presentation .

Cheers Andreas

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose and the way this is framed is great. Plenty of room for the little lion to look into. Like the grass surrounding it.

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, IQ to me isn't there, something is wrong in this series of images. As I'm away and using the laptop I suggest forwarding the Raw file of this to Andreas, albeit you say it's sharp. If it is sharp then somewhere within your workflow you are 'masking' detail.

Steve