Thread: Grizzly bear cub

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grizzly bear cub

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

A bear cub from BC. The line on the log is where the water gets up to with the tide. In post, WB, slight crop, and NR.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 500mm f/4
    Specs: 1/640 f/4 ISO 3,200

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, a fine shot with clean BG, the walking pose on the log of wood is lovely and the HA and eye contact great.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Alex, good tones in the fur, the cub seems to keeping an eye on you! The log is a part of the image but I would suggest toning it down a little to make it a less dominant feature.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Alex,

Really nice capture of this bear cub, lovely playful pose, good POV and great eye contact.

Love the colours and tones on the little bear, as well as detail. (Personal preference, I would just remove the blues from the water splash and hind leg)

I do agree with Jon above, log is quite dominant - would darken it slightly and perhaps consider cropping a tad from the bottom.
    This looks great for ISO 3200 on the D500. Well processed too, and sharp where it matters. Beautiful work

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is fabulous Alex ,the half dry half wet, water droplets the soulful look, blade of grass... the cute factor so many lovely little things in one frame. A story!! Alex I might have framed this lower,it's hard when one doesn't know what's below the log.........

lovely work

tfs

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Alex -- I liked the framing and the look in the camera. Agree with Jon and gabriela reg the log , could be slightly cropped out. I think you have processed nicely. Cant comment on the techs as i am not familiar with the D500 capabilities but to me the ss is low and affecting those finer details.

Nice one nonetheless, TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice the cub is walking along that log. The look it's giving you is great. The composition looks right on to me. Nice to have the bear isolated against that background.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Alex, I really like this and the water splash makes it.

The Darks & Shadows need a lighter touch, or contrast as its masking the detail. reduce the blue (see the log by the feet) and I might add a tad more magenta in the tint slider. Giving the log more tonal depth helps. Alex having just got back, I'm away so using the laptop!!!

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a ton all, and thanks for the RP Steve, Agree I can lift the shadows / contrast a little. I'll take a look at it. I think between the low light and intense greens in the grass I needed to work the tint more on these images than I usually do, so will take another look there as well. Thanks again all, Best,