Thread: Cape Fur Seal scratching

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape Fur Seal scratching

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks .... one from Namibia and a seal image , have not posted one for a longer time.
    Image taken at Seal rookery at Cape Cross .... famous for the vast numbers of seals and the smell ...LOL.
    Difficult to get good shots at times , due to local circumstances .
    Nevertheless i got this one scratching herself .... as the nose seemed to be itchy .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    HH

F 10; Iso 6400 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2019 ; slightly cropped for comp from LHS .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous image .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fun pose -- looks like "the Thinker". Great detail rendered and nice IQ across the board. The OOF seal behind is a little distracting but that is how these colonies go I guess. Nice exposure. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, it is tough to get good shots in these large colonies. But this one works, the behaviour and the details make this image for me. Techs seem great.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful details Andreas, I accept the OOF seal is a little distracting but it is a part of the story you convey with the image. I might be tempted to subdue it a little if possible to reduce some contrast with the background.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Andreas, this is such a nice behavioural shot! I realise this chap is having a good scratch but as soon as I opened the thumbnail I also thought, like Alex, here's 'The Thinker'

Interesting pose and I quite like the subject's positioning within the frame. Superb detail and colours. Those whiskers are enormous!

Regarding characters in the BG, I am quite certain you've done all you could to make them less obvious. So I am happy with this as presented, lovely work Boetie!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela , Jon , Alex and Sanjeev for your kind comments .... much appreciated .

Folks i do agree with you about the OOF seal not being ideal , but that is how it goes in such colony structure . Mostly something in the way or in the BG . So i have to live with .... and i can , and Jon reducing the contrast will only help marginally .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was wondering when we would get to see more seals. The pose is great and the detail is even better. I don't mind the background at all. I'm glad i don't have to deal with the smell.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John ... i will make your wish come true ... tomorrow .
    Thanks for the comment .... and yes that smell is really bad . The worst thing is ... it does creep into your clothes at well , and stays for days .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, again I might look at going B/W which may help, or not in the huge variations in tonal range???? Because of the nature of the fur I might back off on the sharpening, but what surprises me is that at f/10 the eye lacks the detail compared to the rest of the head, I'm guess the FP was on the head and being so close....

and yes that smell is really bad . The worst thing is ... it does creep into your clothes at well , and stays for days
    Thankfully we are only viewing the image and 'smellyvision' is only a concept.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve , thanks .
    I am fine with the sharpness and the eye , no detail as it is lying naturally in shadow due to the light fall . Had to lighten it already .... and you are right the FP was on the head .

Cheers Andreas