Thread: Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella)

Attached Images Attached Images

This bird is becoming less and less common in UK so I felt quite pleased when I spotted this one -( despite the less than optimal pose.)
    Handheld, quite a large crop, I have done a lot of cloning/clean up, I was tempted to leave it as it was and I also did a version with more clean up, but lets see what you think.

Image input equipment model : E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 420 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 841.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Photographic Sensitivity : 640
    Exposure bias : 0 EV
    Exposure time : 1/320 sec
    F number : F7.1
    Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perch and BG are lovely, but the pose is tough, as you alluded. Focal point looks to be on bird's back, so the gaze is both disinterest and soft, unfortunately. It's a bummer as that purple vegetation is beautiful. Still, it's nice to see this
    species in a truly natural setting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

A challenging situation. I also wonder if there might be a bit of motion blurring in the neck area, as the bill and eye surround seem sharper than the neck area, while the closer bits are sharper still.
    First post that I have seen with the E-M1x. What is your overall impression of it? I enjoyed my EM5 in the past, but found the m4/3 sensor a bit limiting for my low light work.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Jon:

A challenging situation. I also wonder if there might be a bit of motion blurring in the neck area, as the bill and eye surround seem sharper than the neck area, while the closer bits are sharper still.
    First post that I have seen with the E-M1x. What is your overall impression of it? I enjoyed my EM5 in the past, but found the m4/3 sensor a bit limiting for my low light work.

Cheers

Randy
    Randy my overall impression after a few months is fantastic.
    I won't go on and on my only suggestion is try one, I have said that to three people so far and they have all gone from Canon to Olympus. I would give it 5 stars for all the things a IDX can do and more stars for all the features it has that the Canon simply doesn't do. (Computational photography). Regarding low light if a slow shutter speed is possible then I have no qualms but if I need a high shutter speed then simply don't bother. My attitude is to play to it's strengths not weakness. I have realised that there is more to life then BIF in the dark! In a nutshell I am delighted with it, so flexible so light so compact. I can carry all day 840mm and hand hold easily at 1/30 sec. Sorry I am beginning to go on and on but no, I'll stop.