Thread: This is my Tusk, and I am gonna keep it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default This is my Tusk, and I am gonna keep it!

Attached Images Attached Images

An elephant bull holds on to his tusk as if to suggest no one's going to take it from him (as if to say to poachers!!) This is my first experiment with Lightroom and then PS CC 2019, rather than DPP. So hope I am in the right direction regarding PP work.
    5D IV
    100-400 II @ 300mm
    1/800
    f/6.3
    ISO 1600
    Last edited by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar; 08-14-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev .... at first why again switching from DPP to Lightroom , if i remember correctly you already worked with LR/ACR in the past . Do you think you get better results with that move ....? But your call . Do not want to say DPP is better ...just be interested in your thinking .

What jumps into my eye is the sharpening halo/fringe along the elephant .....again the grass is a bit thin in tone and color , IMHO . Color /WB ...you were there , so up to you. And you have strange ISO ....16700 .... i bet a typo .

Regarding the image .... lovely shot and the holding trunk is a nice bonus . Love the walking pose and the framing is about perfect for me . Love the endless width of the landscape with no distracting elements .

TFS Andreas

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the scene and cool behaviour with the trunk. Do you have any more room above and to the left? Feels just a little tight to me. The closest tusk to the viewer looks a little hot to me. Great background and transition in BG colors. TFS

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, sorry for the typo, ISO should be 1600. No specific reason, it was an experiment as LR was lying on the desktop so tried it. But am more comfortable with DPP as I am so used to it. Will look at that halo, as the sharpening applied was minimal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Alex, I do have a very little more room around, but this is nearly full frame with small crop for composition.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and the pose, the hide of the elephant looks good the near tusk is a little hot. Grasses look a little thin and predominantly yellow, maybe reduce saturation & luminosity in yellow a little and add a tad of green?

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice Sanjeev, a well composed image and I love the background.

Interesting pose from the elephant with its trunk wrapped around the tusk ( sometimes they just rest the trunk like that, when they walk long distances)

Beautiful detail and sharpness on the subject. I like the colours too, grass does look a bit on the yellow side but only you can tell whether it was like that.

And I really like how you processed the elephant and brought out those lovely textures, cannot see a hallo but maybe it's me old eyes, LOL.

Very nice work, you must be very pleased with this. I certainly enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriela ....for your eyes only .....hope this helps .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I get you Andreas, thank you Boetie. But it's still acceptable to me, as I cannot see the halo in the OP. Maybe drop Sanjeev a mail and have a chat with him about sharpening, I am sure he would not mind

Have a nice evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela you need new glasses or a better screen ...LOL. On my screen the halo is " very " obvious , even without the levels trick in PS to make it easy visible .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, just got new glasses a few days ago and I admit I am still busy adjusting to them. They are designed for computer work, by the way. Regarding screen, I got what I could afford: a 27 inch Radeon Pro Vega 64 MB graphics.

I respect your opinion and not contradicting you, just saying I do not see the halo in the OP.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... no problem do not feel contradicted at all , you should know that . And i hope you do not feel as well ....

Might be my mega screen that shows more ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No issue Boetie Andreas, we are here to help each other. And you and I hardly ever disagree on things. I must just watch out my sharpening if I decide to process something, LOL.

And apologies to you Sanjeev for our conversation here, we are 'stealing' your thread - BTW it is a beautiful image with so much to look at. Mmmm....I just had a thought, maybe another tiny curve adjustment for more 'punch'? Let us see what the others say

Have a wonderful rest of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- I really liked the image and the subject, majestic indeed.

Colours can only be known by you but i also feel the grass is bit on yellowish side. I liked the framing and the pose. I too can't see that halo in OP , may be i too am a candidate for specs. But here I miss Rachel , she was always spot on with those halos and colour casts.

TFS !

18. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, here it would have been great o have a head turn towards you, or if you moved the vehicle to be head on. I can see this working in B/W too.

LR hey, good for you, Global adjustment in lR, finer in PS.

TFS
    Steve