Thread: Emergence of a Common darter dragonfly

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Emergence of a Common darter dragonfly

Attached Images Attached Images

These are stacked images each I think a stack of 10 performed in camera. I think in total I took over 1000 exposures, taken over a period of approximately 1.5hr. The lighting conditions varied and some stacks had to be repeated due to an occasional breeze. The angle from which the images were taken were similar in 1st and 2nd images but different in 3rd because the imago had re-positioned a little more than between 1st and 2nd.
    ACR + PSCC

Tripod

Image input equipment model : E-M1X
    LensModel : OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro
    Lens focal length : 60 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 120.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    Photographic Sensitivity : 500
    Exposure bias : 0 EV (some -0.3)
    Exposure time : 1/320 sec (some 1/200 sec)
    F number : F8 (some f11)
    Flash : OFF

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, Jon! You took my breath away with those images, just awesome Super sharp with beautiful detail, wonderful colours. 1000 exposures...whew!

Would like to try and capture a cicada emerging from its shell - I think it is called an exoskeleton? Might need a few tips from you, shall get in touch when back from Kruger Park, if that's ok.

Really enjoyed this sequence, thank you so much for sharing. Love those those eyes of the dragon fly, and every little detail. Background is superb. Stunning work!!!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you like d them Gabriela. Exoskeleton is the term given to the "exuvia" of many (adult) insects in the dragon fly we go egg-> larva -> imago. When the larva leaves the water it climbs up some dry stem of sorts. It then gets a stable position and gets a firm grip, the shell of the larva dries out and splits, this shell is referred to as the exuvia. The adult dragonfly forces it's way out once the shell has dried and of course once the metamorphosis is complete. It takes some time for the adult to pump out its wings and more time again for the full adult colours to develop.

have fun in Kruger I look forward to seeing your images.... glad to be of any help I can be.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 05-27-2023 at 03:34 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jon, it's all so interesting! Every now and then I find such a dried out shell on a tree trunk in the garden, always wondering what insect came out of there. Managed to identify the one which belongs to the Cicada but not sure exactly which species, there are about 150 of them in South Africa.

I am off to Johannesburg on a business trip next week, then early September going camping in the Kruger - hope to bring back some images to share. I do have an old Macro lens... so when back I am going to chat to Uncle Nikon and see what's available, Christmas is around the corner
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Sequence...

6. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful sequence. I enjoyed seeing how intact the shell was after the dragon fly emerged from it. Very sharp images and lovely colors and bg.

8. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post