Thread: Copcoa Woodcreeper

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Copcoa Woodcreeper

I encountered this bird several times in Costa Rica and it was always vertical. This image was taken under overcast skies with a slight drizzle. Light was rather flat. But I liked this Woodcreeper.

Iso-2000, 100-400 at 400 mm, F7 .1,80th sec, A7R3, handheld, 60% full frame, fill flash at -3

Name:  Cocoa-Woodcreeper-copy-BP.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  595.5 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First, this is NOT a Cocoa Woodcreeper (https://ebird.org/species/cocwoo1/); it is a Streak-headed Woodcreeper (https://ebird.org/species/sthwoo1/). Cocoa is bulkier, has a bigger, straighter, and more chisel-like bill, and less streaking on the breast and flanks.

Regardless, this is a nice shot. Getting clear shots of woodcreepers is really, really hard! Flat light is par for the tropical course, but the details still look decent. They are ALWAYS vertical like this, so you represent the bird
    perfectly in that respect. Love the look at the far right foot, in particular!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bummer the left foot is obstructed, but as Dorian points out the right one looks pretty cool. Neat bird overall too. Comp-wise I'd personally prefer a bit less below and more above. Not sure what is happening on the perch IQ-wise at left, I imagine a mixture of NR/sharpening effect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool Bird. I agree with the left foot obstruction.

On my Monitor, the image quality does not stand up, it grainy , specially the left side of the frame and feather details on the bird missing.

Did you raise shadows on this image ?

TFS