Thread: Sunset curiosity

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunset curiosity

Attached Images Attached Images

A cub and sub adult lioness* carefully approach my lens under a wonderful winter sunset in Zambia's South Luangwa Nat Park.
    I love the upward glance on that young cub!

With my FP on the young cub and with the older sibling suddenly stepping half a metre forward, with being so close, the face unfortunately isn't quite sharp , but I think the quizzical pose makes up for that somewhat........that's wildlife!

Captured using an L bracket, ballhead/flipped monopod and remote CamRanger, slight crop for comp, curves, levels in PS CC'19 & ACR.

*Gabriela, mum was @ the rear, this was a sub -adult lioness around 18 mths old, on babysitting duties.

Nikon D810
    Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 G2
    f/6.3 -.33EV
    fill flash (rear curtain) -1.3EV
    1/250s
    ISO500@ 55mm.

1400px wide

I leave tomorrow for a 3 week return trip to Central Serengeti with conditions even drier than normal,
    allowing for some good sightings of Pangolin and a melanistic/black Serval seen close to camp .....fingers, toes & eyes crossed that the Gods smile upon me, until then.

Cheers
    Marc

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc ...as good and unusual as the previous posting from that shooting . Even with the technical shortcoming that yourself described .... nature is playing its own role , mostly .
    What i do really like in both images is the very good use of fill in flash .... something that i never get my hands on .

Have a great trip with loads of sightings ....
    within in two months time i am in South Luangwa myself .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    What i do really like in both images is the very good use of fill in flash .... something that i never get my hands on .
    Like yourself, never a huge fan of flash in my wildlife photography, but playing around with -EV (in both flash -Exp in body) plus rear curtain can give pleasing results when set against a colour filled sunrise/sunset.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All the best Marc for your trip, hope you get all the best of sightings and photo opportunities.

The image like the previous one is nicely framed with this low a POV it looks indeed special. no issues with the subject a bit soft as framing in adjusting FP's under such circumstances are very difficult. loved the curious eyes and framing.

nicely done, TFS !

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, what a lovely image! I like the technique, the result, the light and comp. Priceless curious pose from the lions. TFS.

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc,

This is awesome, so glad you shared it! Superb expression from both subadult and cub, too special. I too love the cub's eyes, such cute pose

Very nice use of flash. Framing looks good and BG is lovely, awesome POV. I like the colours too. In fact I like everything here Marc, you've done a great job out there under the circumstances.
    Hope we get to see more when you get back from the Serengeti - travel safely and have great fun, experiment more, and... bring back more stunners

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marc this is just amazing, I love these low angled shots - so much more involving of the viewer in the visual experience, it almost like being there. Big sister slightly soft but the glancing eyes of the little one are priceless

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool scene captured. Awesome background and colors. Nice use of flash too. Love the look up from the cub. TFS

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very interesting shoot! Unusual position..good light ..good details . Well done !

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post