Thread: Elephant-Scape Botswana !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elephant-Scape Botswana !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Here is an Elephant image taken at Botswana against the setting sun. I liked the golden hues and the sun shimmering midst the tree. Exposing for the sun and going against light led to the Elephant underexposed and hence I had to lift it during PP by some curve adjustments and trying to maintain the feel of the environment.

Would like to know your thoughts on the same, as what you guys would have done on the field in similar situation .

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions on the same, be it of any nature.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 24-105mm f4 IS II, HH.

WB, Curves, Levels, selective colour, colour balance, cropped slightly from top and RHS as viewed, sharpened the subject.

ss 1/250, iso 1000, f/11.

Haseeb.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, A lovely scene showcasing the environment. I like the star burst appearance of sun shining through the tree and the golden hues on the grasses. I would have liked a bit more room to the left.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, if you added a graduated ND filter to your lens you may have not needed to do so much recovery in the sky. I like the light, but the star burst sun in the tree is a little harsh I think. The crop works well.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

IMO the crop is spot on however I agree the star burst is a little too dominant.

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb a nice idea with the animalscape....
    The crop is ok for me , would have preferred the elephant slightly more off corner .
    Sadly for me it is not working in terms of tone and color , FG too bright and sky just nothing to hold on . Only solution , under the given circumstances , would have been bracketing the image and process two versions together .

Sorry Haseeb .... just being honest , but know you can stand it .

TFS Andreas

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions, and that what matters . I really appreciate your feedback and will be looking forward for such opportunities in future for much improved version of this by implementing the above suggestions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely subject in it's environment here Haseeb, but I'm with Andreas and find it doesn't quite work for me here, sorry mate.

Granted you didn't have a grad ND filter on hand, a 3 (1 stop) bracketed frame would have been the solution, provided the ele kept relatively still, plus stopping down your aperture to f/22 would have delivered more definition and finer star points.

TFS

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marc for your comment , no problem at all. Will definitely try a ND filter .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb,

I love Botswana and its wildlife/environment tremendously, so a pleasure to open this thumbnail and view your image. Love the sunset and those trees and the solitary elephant, those termite mounds also appeal to me - such a familiar scene.

Composition looks good here and I like the colours. Sky is a little thin, so to speak, and I do agree with the others' comments, the sun burst itself is a little strong to the eye. I have never used an ND filter (or a Polariser) but it would have probably helped control exposure better across the entire frame.

Nevertheless I still took great pleasure viewing, and also found your image quite inspiring. There's a special place in Botswana, a certain landscape that comes to mind right now...I feel great enjoyment thinking that not a day in my life will pass in which I shall not derive happiness from it.

Thank you so much for sharing, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela for your encouraging words , much appreciated.

17. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post