Thread: Life can be hard at times...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Life can be hard at times...

Attached Images Attached Images

Less than ideal, but it's a Tiger so worth posting.

Why less than ideal, well it was in the shade, I wanted more to the right, but couldn't, the branch at the waters edge just catches the face, more room at the foot, no way due to rocks and so you just have to make good where you can. OK ISO 10k a breeze for the 1DXMKII and at 24 x 16 it holds up...

I just like the tranquility of the scene and the partial reflection with Krishna's you cub lying there, looking on at us, but totally chilled with the other two cubs near by. Haseeb, no chance of getting out and lying on the ground and with the Park officials next to us a little unwise, not that I would contemplate doing that with Tigers.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger cub (Panthera tigris) chilling by the water
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/9 ISO10,000
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop on LHS, slight crop from the top to fit 10x16 format
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve you should have asked the driver to move that branch it would have improved presentation - something to bare in mind

I am assuming the tiger was still.....maybe I am completely wrong? Did you take any images at a lower shutter speed, I appreciate you would want to ensure a sharp image ......but if the tiger was still.....if the vehicle was still...etc I would certainly have tried a lower shutter speed. I expect that "still" was perhaps a commodity not experienced?
    That query aside I love it! I like the colours of the tiger, I wonder if there is a little blue cast on top RHC and maybe in the soil? Great shot I would be thrilled to bits to get anything like this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am assuming the tiger was still.....maybe I am completely wrong? Did you take any images at a lower shutter speed, I appreciate you would want to ensure a sharp image ......but if the tiger was still.....if the vehicle was still...etc I would certainly have tried a lower shutter speed. I expect that "still" was perhaps a commodity not experienced?
    Jon, I knew I was going to crop the image, albeit marginal and so with f/9 I wanted the image to be as sharp as I could get it, remember it's a zoom, not a prime, albeit the 100-400 is razor sharp. The 200-400 is a 'lump' of glass so you do need a steady pair of paws for HH and so dropping the SS may have still popped me to ISO8000...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... such lovely cat !!!
    I do like the relaxed scene ...and agree with your thinking about the tranquility .
    The mirrored tiger is a very nice addition and makes it different ...the dead tree is there , nothing to discuss about .
    I do like the tonal depth and the colors , surprised a bit to see them as in real life the colors would be more muted , but as said i do like it .
    Great IQ as always ...and the pano work well ...no wonder as the image is crying for that .
    I almost bet you darkened the water ... too much for me though .

Always special this species ... TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I almost bet you darkened the water ... too much for me though .
    Yep, as I wanted the 'weight' to be at the foot of the image. The light was kind of behind and above so not muted, but again, here I wanted colour and depth, and to go very slightly away from a 'representational' POV.

Always special this species
    Richtig!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey german bro ......... a good move from representational ..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The soil colour is so dark Steve it's really cool: really makes the cat pop. Stunning image love the colour personally, but a bit unsure on the darks this time at the base, bit strong for me aswell

It's lovely.sooooooooo tranquil. Plus I don't think I've ever seen a tiger image with the reflection along the water line like this Steve, really well done mate like this alot There's just that q on those darks at the base maybe just notched back a gnats' ??

Steve the little things............. My eyes are drawn to her fluffy tummy and the whale tail therein, don't ask why,lmao maybe they shouldn't be.

lovely mate TFS

stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Certainly worth posting and a little unconventional too - I like it

Nice POV and relaxed pose, kind of "flirtatious" with that left front limb/paw pushing forward - a playful cat. Super techs too. I take it there was some movement involved... "kneading" is common behaviour in cats, be it domestic or wild... a comfort thing

Well exposed frame and colours look good, lovely detail. I like the dark FG and reflection. You always manage to make the best of any given situation Steve, nice thinking in the field and great PP work.

Looking forward to more Tigers from you as well as...Polar Bears

Warmest regards and wishes for a great week ahead,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I really liked the image and reflection of the Tiger. For all that high iso I think IQ is quite good especially the details in fur. I would go with the colours of Tiger as somewhat in line as the coat gets vibrant during winters. As Jon said you should have got rid of that branch but instead asked the forest official to do so instead of the driver .

And I assume lying in this case would have robbed us of that lovely reflection.

Very nicely done, TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this is an image worth keeping and you did extremely well to extract the most out of it. Good relaxed pose and the eye contact makes this even better. The reflection and the dark soil all make this a good shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one. The reflection and the relaxed look on the tiger are great. Details look really nice for the high ISO.