Thread: Cheetah Head-On!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah Head-On!

Attached Images Attached Images

A cheetah walks towards us at Masai Mara.......
    Cropped from Landscape to Portrait for composition.
    1DX II
    500 II
    1/1250
    f/7.1
    ISO 800

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I love everything about it, but I'm just not sure on the overall colour. If it was in Bots may be, but the Mara... lets see what other folk think...

Cropped from Landscape to Portrait for composition.
    You know what I would say, but here it's OK I guess because of the size, however...

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Colours look OK to me Steve, this was in the plains with some tall green grasses. Lifted shadows in the eyes and toned down the bright areas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's fine Sanjeev, probably just tired eyes that need a long getaway...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Very nice image, liked the pose and the tall grass all around the Cheetah. And i would say colours are typical Mara, I am fine with it. I would have liked had you taken it in portrait mode as cropping does loose some details. Some more space for virtual legs and cropping from top rather ?

Nice one, TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I acknowledge you were there and you are happy with the colours but they don't look quite right to me. (It appears a bit red to me).
    I appreciate it is easy to be smart from where I am sitting but a portrait orientation a few steps back would I think have given a little better perspective.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... oh my God , never had really luck so far myself with them , so i am a bit envious .

Nice one , with the head on . IQ holds quite well at least at this size . Well controlled exposure and you have nice details / good tonal range and the colors ...well you were there . I would jump on Jonīs comment , and think a tiny bit " too red " . And the " green grass " you say is more yellow than green , but your call . I would expect an overall cooler color temperature as the light seemed to be harsh and not that warm like in the morning/evening light ....just my 2 cents .

Nevertheless a pleasure to see this image , and we might see things different at times .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Based on the above Sanjeev and further to my email, this is where I thought it could go, but was hoping perhaps others may have chimed in with a RP to expand on the feedback and help, as often a RP visually tells explains the story better.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Just a quick comment as electricity is about to go off here sorry! Load shedding or whatever, not sure anymore...it's an African thing...

Framing looks good to me and techs as well. Subject sharp with good detail, very nice work in the field

Never been to Mara and thus not familiar with lighting conditions... but still...my personal feeling is, Cheetah's fur has too much orange - I would go to "saturation" in LR and reduce orange. Maybe reds as well.

Other than the above no nits, lovely pose and nice eye contact, I like the POV too. Seems you had such an amazing trip, really happy for you and looking forward to see more of your sightings!

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea