Thread: Tree Hugger !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tree Hugger !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post as always much appreciated .

I will post more Leopard images from Africa but would like to post another Tiger image which I had taken earlier last season. Suggestions on PP from last posting incorporated here.

This is a young tigress, at that time had barely separated from her mother. The light was very low and the area was a thick canopy of trees so that was also blocking whatever light was available. Had to boost up the iso and went wide open to get as much ss as possible.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

DPP 4.8, PSCC 2019, WB, curves, selective colour, colour balance, NR, sharpening , cropped very slightly from top, bottom and Lhs, cloned out a painted marking on the tree and removed a distracting branch from the bkg, darkened the fg for some depth.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400 f4 @381mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/800, f/4, iso 10,000.

Haseeb.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, you did well given the light conditions and despite the high ISO the IQ is quite acceptable. Nice vertical framing and good PP work. Colours are nice too.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Good job, Haseeb. Love this animal's coat... so soft looking! Wish I could see the tail. Your PP looks good on my laptop but is there anyway to get more contrast in the eyes without too much fakery? And I might crop just a bit tighter if mine.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, something I have not witnessed whilst in India, so thanks, although I have seen the claw marks!!!

Think you did well overall, but the cloning needs some honing. Would have liked to have seen the tail, just looks odd without it. Might have posted at 1200px high, framing looks OK to me.

. Your PP looks good on my laptop but is there anyway to get more contrast in the eyes without too much fakery?
    Matt could you expand on the 'contrast' aspect here, just curious.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Doc, Matt and Steve.

@ Matt -- I think by more contrast you are suggesting that you need a bit more punch in those eyes ? Might look odd though, left it as natural as possible.

@ Steve -- it was a bit tricky but a necessary clone certainly will refine it. Nothing could have done for that tail, would have loved to get it.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this I haven't seen such a pose in a tiger image before. Cloning didn't occur to me - I wasn't looking for it, but now it's been mentioned it makes me look for it. Lovely image well done (agree would have been nice to see the tail, it does make you wonder where it has gone!.. hey maybe you cloned it)

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Jon that was a real good one .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely behavioural frame, Haseeb

Well done on pushing the Iso when needed and I think it paid off really well, subject looks sharp and some nice detail on the face and also on that fat belly too

Having read the comments above I must say I am not concerned at all about the absence of the tail, I imagine it's there somewhere behind the tigress...

Colours look good and the 'darkened' BG is nice and smooth, no nits from me. I see a tiny blood stain on the subject's belly, do you think she was able to make a kill on her own or was mom still around to help?

I really enjoyed viewing, thank you Haseeb. Hope you have a wonderful week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Gabriela: Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Haseeb, something I have not witnessed whilst in India, so thanks, although I have seen the claw marks!!!

Think you did well overall, but the cloning needs some honing. Would have liked to have seen the tail, just looks odd without it. Might have posted at 1200px high, framing looks OK to me.

Matt could you expand on the 'contrast' aspect here, just curious.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi, Steve--

I am looking at this on a little uncalibrated craptop monitor, so perhaps I am not seeing the photo as it truly is. But the pupils look hazy to me, and I guess I just wanted a richer, more piercing look. From where I sit, these look almost like the hollow reflection of a flash off the corneas. It really doesn't bother me too much as is. Maybe contrast isn't the proper term for what I mean...

thanks,
    Matt

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Matt, I know what you mean, but in low light/contrast colours will be flat and with no directional light hitting the face then it's hard to get real definition. The result may even be from a PP adjustment that wass Global rather than selective too? The only way to look at this is would be at the Raw 100% on a calibrated screen and then to decide if making a manipulation would be beneficial or not, if so, then I would think a % black ie 70% would work rather than a full black which would stand out too much and so the look may appear false/doctored. Haseeb what does the raw look like????

I am looking at this on a little uncalibrated craptop monitor,
    Always best to look at images on a Calibrated monitor, however even at a 256 colour sRGB file it's not always ideal. My comments are always based on importing the image and making any of the suggestions myself, as only then do I know if it helps or hinders an image, but ultimately it's the Author who has to filter all the comments and apply what he or she feels best helps progress the image further.

Appreciate your participation, hope to see some images from you soon.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Matt and Steve for your inputs. Well, as Matt pointed out there was a flash from a cell phone which was reflected in tigers eye indirectly from the shinning paint on the tree which i cloned out. So, I did removed that minor glint but it was at very less opacity of 30% , i.e. added blacks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb well you got lucky to capture this behaviour !!
    Good timing and the look out of the frame is great .
    I do like the overall muted appearance of the image . Well done .
    Is that partial darkening on three sides ? if yes ... not my taste ... as it does look fake to me . But i might be wrong though ... If you have more space to the RHS and less on LHS would be slightly better in my view .
    Have you accidentally cloned out the tail ........ a shame that the tail is not up in this case .

Nice one .. TFS Andreas

19. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas . No darkening except very slightly in the FG but none whatsoever on either side.

This is turning out to be a Tale of Tail