Thread: Scar Face

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scar Face

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Meet scarface from Mara. He was recently in news too. He seemed like a battle scarred old unit, was limping too due to injury to a hind leg. But still what a character!
    1DX II
    500 II
    1/800
    f/5.6
    ISO 3200
    Last edited by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar; 08-04-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, personally I'm not a lover of seeing animals in a bad way, obviously this guy has seen and played his part in battle, but its a little sad to see such a majestic animal in such a way, however it is nature.

I'll leave it to others but the overall colour looks off even on the laptop and just getting a mid grey WB I think pushes it in the right direction. Again, I think a bit more DoF and the grasses I can sympathise with having posted a similar shot. I would also just crop a little off the bottom.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Always sad to see a lion in this state. Half blind and the remaining eye no longer sparkling, he looks conscious enough and even a little alert but so dishevelled and in poor condition. I gather his chances of survival are slim.

I prefer the colours in the RP and agree with Steve regarding need for a slight crop at the bottom. Those grasses are unfortunate but nothing you could do about that. And yes, I too think more DoF would have been good.

This is one such sighting that will stay with you for a long time, for me personally an overwhelming scene that reminds me of an amazing character I had the privilege to observe for many years in the Kalahari.

Thank you for sharing, Sanjeev. I sincerely hope your solitary old boy here gets to see the sunrise for a few more years.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 08-04-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Gabriela, here is a RP from me. Hope this is better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it is better than the OP, thank you Sanjeev
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... well what a battled warrior , this guy . I am having no issues to photograph and show this kind of images , just real life and how tough the bush can be .
    For sure not a classy nice image of a male lion ..... but hey make sit different !!!
    I do like the framing and the grasses are not bothering me , colors matter of taste . Depending on the shooting conditions they can vary .... so for me your RP is quite close to what i think is " correct " !!!
    I do ike his punky hair do ....

Just wondering that nobody mentioned the softness in its fur in parts , specially very obvious in the dark circle on the forehead , but also in others parts of the subject ... ... looks like use of NR the " wrong " way by killing all fine detail . Nose needs to have some structure at least ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post

Just wondering that nobody mentioned the softness in its fur in parts , specially very obvious in the dark circle on the forehead , but also in others parts of the subject ... ... looks like use of NR the " wrong " way by killing all fine detail . Nose needs to have some structure at least ....

TFS Andreas
    Hello Andreas, I did notice (in parts) but blamed this issue on DoF. Or rather, lack of it. My guess is the FP was on the eye - Sanjeev could confirm if I am correct. The lion's fur looks sharper in places because it is wet ( RHS mane). And the circle on the forehead, there's not much hair there, it's a hollow.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela .... well i see it differently , still think there is to much NR used

Threads
    Thank You Posts

We can't always capture majestic males in their prime and like Andreas, have no issues showing this type of truthful story telling image.

Agree your warmer RP looks better, and can only agree on the DOF & detail issues, a nice portrait nonetheless Sanjeev.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like this guy has some stories he could tell. I like the tightness of this portrait. The lion is nice and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Well some very nice difference of opinions above, good to see how we all approach to an image with different thoughts. Well I too liked this specimen inspite of him being badly injured coz that is how life is in the wild and especially for these big males.

Your RP makes for a good viewing and as pointed above details are a bit washed out , is that the NR ?

TFS !