Thread: The young explorer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The young explorer

Attached Images Attached Images

A month old lion cub explores its surroundings late in evening at Mara reserve. Just a day earlier they were playing in the bushes and wouldn't come out, as the moms came out they followed suit and was such a joy watch them in open. They were extremely playful and bubbling with energy.
    1DX II
    500mm II
    1/800
    f/4
    ISO 3200

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A pleasing image Sanjeev, I have slight reservation over the direction the eyes are pointing, i.e. no direct eye contact but this doesn't mean I don't like it! The other point is that the image looks rather "thin", or a little washed out, a little tonal contrast maybe a tad more colour would also help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... another very nice one of those cuties .
    Really good that you have achieved the low POV in this series .
    Love the clean look and that no grass is hiding the subject , you got very lucky with the shooting conditions in terms of this . This does look again different on the color side ..... albeit slightly only. I would try to find a sweet spot for dealing with this. Lovely pose of the subject and the framing is very good with lots of space around .
    Not sure bout the IQ with this one , missing some fine detail in the fur , might be also down to the F4 .

Enjoy this series of the cubs , keep them coming .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Another lovely post of a little lion cub. They make for a great subject.

I liked the pose and the low pov makes for a fine viewing. As mentioned above WB looks a bit off but not too much ofcourse. I think you should have gone for a bit more ss as these cubs are always on the move and f/5.6 wouldn't have hurt. Looks slightly dark for my taste.

nice one. TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, you don't say how much of a crop this is or if it's FF so IQ may have dropped subject to this. I think a tad more below wouldn't hurt. With the head angled away f/4 would not give you much DoF to ply with, but I also question 'critical sharpness'. colours I will leave to others as I'm still away.

TFS
    Steve