Thread: Moraine Lake at Sunrise

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Moraine Lake at Sunrise

Attached Images Attached Images

Really enjoyed being at Lake Moraine and seeing it for the first time two weeks ago. This was at sunrise and is a HDR combo of 5 exposures. Canon 7DII, f14, 10mm, 10-22mm lens. Thanks for any feedback, was thinking of entering it into a competition down the line. Processed with Adobe RAW, converted to HDR with HDR Effects Pro 2.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You got a nice sky going on and I like the water colors.

What was the need for going with HDR to combine 5 exposures ? You could have used GND filters in the field to take a single exposure ?

TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    You got a nice sky going on and I like the water colors.

What was the need for going with HDR to combine 5 exposures ? You could have used GND filters in the field to take a single exposure ?

TFS
    Thanks, I actually shoot mostly birds but am trying to do more landscape. I have a circular polarizer and neutral density filter but only had the cheap plastic grad filters. After seeing the guide I worked with using them, I decided to purchase a set and am waiting on it, I picked up the NiSI Professional Kit III that I'm anxious to try out, hopefully it'll be in by later this month.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You had some great clouds. Another beautiful scene. I wish the foreground rocks weren't there. I would like to see a lot of them or none. You could always just bracket and compine the exposures in post. I don't think you would need five maybe 2-3. One for the highlights and one for the shadows.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As presented it appears a little over-saturated especially on the mountain range. Agree on excluding the rocks. John summed that up well..show a lot of them or none of them. I would suggest re-examining your original 5 exposures and re-edit them in ACR as I am certain given the over-cast conditions you were presented with that you probably have one frame that will work, without the need for HDR processing.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    As presented it appears a little over-saturated especially on the mountain range. Agree on excluding the rocks. John summed that up well..show a lot of them or none of them. I would suggest re-examining your original 5 exposures and re-edit them in ACR as I am certain given the over-cast conditions you were presented with that you probably have one frame that will work, without the need for HDR processing.
    Thanks, I did bring down the mountain range a bit. I've gotten different opinions on the rocks; my guide said to keep them, liked the amount of them; another judge said in another image the rocks were too strong when I included more of them. I did shoot RAW so lots to work with, and was happy to take in the sunrise and get some fog. A real nice morning out there. I'll continue to tweek it here and there.