Thread: Bobcat Kitten

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bobcat Kitten

Attached Images Attached Images

I was in Southern New Mexico photographing Swainson's Hawks a few years ago, and when the light was no longer shootable I headed back to the ranch I was staying at. While driving I noticed some movement in the fading light, so I pulled out my flashlight to investigate. To my surprise it was a Bobcat den, and there were a couple of kittens checking me out from a ledge above the den! I took this frame using flash as main light.

Canon 1Dx, 600mm + 1.4x, f/10, 1/160, ISO 400, FAML, hand held
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see a bobcat here let alone a kitten. The pose and detail are spot on. My first though was this was flashed. But it is well balanced. This would have made a nice vertical as well. This is great as is though. Background is killer. Nice one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Nice to see a bobcat here let alone a kitten. The pose and detail are spot on. My first though was this was flashed. But it is well balanced. This would have made a nice vertical as well. This is great as is though. Background is killer. Nice one.
    Thanks John. The photo was taken in total darkness. I had to use a flashlight on the kitten to get my AF to work. It is therefore a 100% flashed image with no ambient light in the exposure.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

4. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really cool shot of the cat Doug. The central placement and those big eyes with front paws showing works well. God use of the flashlight. Are the eyes a bit grainy and natural or is it noise? Just curious

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    A really cool shot of the cat Doug. The central placement and those big eyes with front paws showing works well. God use of the flashlight. Are the eyes a bit grainy and natural or is it noise? Just curious
    Thanks Sanjeev! What you're seeing is texture in the iris. There's very little noise in the original file as it was shot at ISO 400 with a 1Dx. I did push the exposure 1/3 stop in post, but that had a negligible effect on noise.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doug -- Great to see you posting here. I absolutely loved the pose and the typical cat like inquisitiveness in its eye. I myself have struggled with flash especially controlling its intensity and have ruined many images, hence, this turns out to be an image to look over and get some inspiration. You field work must have been really good to get this so nicely framed and pin sharp inspite of using that big tele with a TC and a low ss, nice use of flash in this case.

I really enjoyed viewing this image.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the comments!
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px