Thread: Grizzly bear

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grizzly bear

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Another bear from BC. It was great getting this one in the rain as she gave a ton of different poses, so have varying focal lengths, up to some portraits which I will post at some point. In post, WB, decreased sat in the greens, slight crop, and NR. Had to compress the file a lot to get to 600 kb.

Camera: Nikon D5 (rented)
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 200mm
    Specs: 1/800 f/7.1 ISO 4,000

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always love a frame in the rain. Nice how the bear is looking off to your left. Wonder what it was looking at. The rain is rendered nicely. Image quality looks great for ISO 4000. Really like the view of those claws. Nice and sharp as well.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Alex,

Lovely image, nice attentive pose from the bear and the environment is so beautiful. Especially the background with those trees gathered tightly, their lower branches seem to be bending under the weight of rain.

Good detail and sharpness on the subject, nice textures in the fur. Great to have those claws visible. Is this a youngster Alex, or an adult?

I see you like the D5 which has given you some wonderful frames at relatively high ISO - this is a well captured, well processed image and colours are consistent with the lighting conditions - I really enjoyed viewing

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, looks serious. Scene is great, I really like the good view of the claws. Good shutter speed for the rain.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, what a lovely image of bear in rain and beautiful habitat! Nice details and muted colours. I like the claws showing and the pose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, much appreciated. This was a really fun encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Nice how the bear is looking off to your left. Wonder what it was looking at.
    Hey John, she and her cubs were kept checking out this area and eventually took off. After about 5 minutes a *huge* dominant male came out. I'll edit a photo of him standing pretty much on this same log and post it in the next couple days. It was the only really big male I saw on the trip and it was massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Is this a youngster Alex, or an adult?

I see you like the D5 which has given you some wonderful frames at relatively high ISO - this is a well captured, well processed image and colours are consistent with the lighting conditions - I really enjoyed viewing
    Thanks for your kind words Gabriela, this is an adult female. She had two small cubs with her, and I would say she herself was somewhat on the smaller side as well. I really liked the D5 overall, especially having the exact same layout as my D500 which is my body, it was really easy to switch between the two. I would love to pick one up if the used market goes down a bit more (maybe with the D6 release)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Thanks all, much appreciated. This was a really fun encounter.

Thanks for your kind words Gabriela, this is an adult female. She had two small cubs with her, and I would say she herself was somewhat on the smaller side as well. I really liked the D5 overall, especially having the exact same layout as my D500 which is my body, it was really easy to switch between the two. I would love to pick one up if the used market goes down a bit more (maybe with the D6 release)
    Thank you for reply Alex! She is a cutie of a bear:)
    Let us hope there'll be a D6, I am not kin on changing to mirrorless Maybe try rent a D850 and see if you like it, although the D5 still performs better in low light. D4 / D4S both perform very well up to... say, ISO 8000.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a fine frame Alex -- Like Gabriela said colours look very nice as per the settings and the rain streaks are a real bonus to get for which your field work was very good i should say. Liked the pose and framing as well.

All in all a very good image, enjoyed viewing this one.

TFS !

9. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, nice position and being on the log has provided the opportunity to show off the claws. Depending on how you want the rain to look, you are way to high on the SS and you want a DoF of say f/5.6, never higher. Personally I would have flipped the space to the LHS as the bear is looking in that direction.

Had to compress the file a lot to get to 600 kb.
    Alex, the master tiff for me could be around 1.2GB depending on things, but I never have an issue on IQ getting down to 600kb, drop me a line, what was the problem?

TFS
    Steve