Thread: Eastern Cottontail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Cottontail

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/12/19 at 8:15PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 10,000
    f6.3
    1/250sec

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another cute little Cottontail, John, very sweet...can you tell me whether it is a youngster or an adult?

Well framed and I love the alert pose, head angle is great, so is POV. Looking really good for ISO 10.000 but maybe some NR to the BG would not hurt

I somehow expect richer colours in terms of the fur... I could be wrong, let us see what the others say?

Good sharpness and detail despite low SS, probably hand held...Err... wish I could do that too but I find the 500 a bit too heavy after a few minutes of holding it, must be old age

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week-end, thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one John. Great IQ for the low light. I like the OOF flower stem on the left, but wish the OOF flowers weren't so close to the face / whiskers, but that's being pretty picky. Agree with some NR on the BG as well as the foreground. I could see a version with some richer colors, but I think this is ok as well. I find with the rabbits around my area that there is a good amount of variation in their coloring, so either is possible. Nice one all around. TFS

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, this is a adult. The little ones are very small and hard to spot also very shy. Like Alex said most of the rabbits i see are pretty different in color some are very light others very dark. I thought this looked pretty good for no noise reduction at ISO 10,000. Yes some would help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, this is a nice shot in low light and you did well in getting this. Yes the SS is low but am sure you had some support. Good BG nd colours.

8. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- I liked the framing and the details that you managed to get here. Cant comment on colours as I have never seen them in wild, but looks good to me. Great job on such a high iso . Nicely done.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, can't comment on the colour as I'm away and using the laptop, but good to see you pushing things. Just remember that going high you will loose detail and dynamic range. The white blobs do need addressing as they are distracting. Nice POV.

TFS
    Steve