Thread: Sparring young Polar Bears

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparring young Polar Bears

Attached Images Attached Images

These two young adolescent Polar Bears were sizing one another up just below our tiny ship, a lot of posturing, but no blows. This also gives you a good idea on what we have to go through and the terrain in which you have to look for these animals. I deliberately shot wide (almost FF), with just a hint of land at the top in the late afternoon light.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus) posturing
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8MkII HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO640
    Original format: Landscape, FF on width, slight crop from the bottom
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

This landscape is so beautiful and barren, somehow it makes me think of the desert... I almost feel despair to be home tonight

Glad you shot this wide and allowed for that strip of land at the top, your choice of composition gives the viewer a great sense of the place. Suppose you returned from this trip quite inspired by what you witnessed, and I am not only referring to this magic landscape but also those living breathing creatures, the Polar Bears.

Beautiful light and the colours are stunning, love the reflection in the FG. Nice to see some interaction, have you ever witnessed any serious confrontations?
    I love the way you process your images, such wonderful detail and the processing seems effortless. So I like this as presented, wonderful work Steve - thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice interaction with the bears circling one another. Love the environment this is in. Looks like something out of one of those nature documentaries. Light is nice as well. Great detail through out the whole scene.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice interaction captured. I love the reflection in the water. The light works well to give a great color scheme with all the shades of blue and then the yellows of the bear. The frame gives a nice sense of place. Would love to see these animals at some point. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, This is super! The light, the posture and the wider frame all works well. They look like sumo wrestlers about to take on each other TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- This is a lovely scene. Your choice of going wide angle works well as it shows the habitat in which these creatures survive. Nice light and I guess this must be a rare sight to witness. I would have liked the one in front to be devoid of any shadows but this is actually nitpicking, also would have liked full reflection of that same Bear but those are the things which a photographer cannot control .

A very nice image indeed, TFS !