Thread: Mr Pickles Capreolous capreolus UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Mr Pickles Capreolous capreolus UK

Attached Images Attached Images

We have started to give our local roe bucks names ,I take no credit for those names Hopefully I'll eventually build a picture of who lives where. i'm starting to see patterns of behaviour but simply can't put the hours in to really work it all out. Suffice to say I am pretty sure I know this guy, I also found an old friend last night we call" the dude",at some stage you will see him. I haven't seen him at his spot for a while now maybe a month. The fawns being born has thrown things about for sure.But then these guys are strange it's also their rut. Mr Pickles is probably around the 4 year old mark if source is correct ,which is likely !

Ok so basically this image is the result of covering huge swathes of ground in say 4foot of veggies looking for a deer around 30inchs high,I might add veggies are nice and dry and crackly. Oh and really, I'm not looking for boys but fawns,which might make things harder, But for the fact that bang mid summer july/ august is our Roe's rut at it's peak so any sighting is basically some thing of a celebration and also maybe well yield something interesting

Sightings are nice but an image................ I watched Mr erm cough, deer cross a bank. Then, slowly but surely make his way to me,being in full rut testosterone fueled mode, trashing various saplings.on route. Even when he was yards from me with the whole thing taking maybe 1/4 1/2 hour only 3 tiny windows evolved where I could focus or even see the face clearly. he was so close at one point he was probably inside min focus. What you're looking at is either a 4x4 rut from about 6 weeks back or a trail used by the deer and me or more than likely all 3 put together. It's that simple facet that gave a clean ,well nearly line of sight to his face later I tracked what I thought was one buck this same buck,but it turned into 3 from the images now binned. How something so vivid orange red can melt into these grasses is a thing of wonder. You think they have no cover but they vanish and pop up ten yards away.

The image is made standing HH and not cropped 1/2500 f6.3 iso 3200 @ 560mm Canon 1dxii 1.4 ext iii 400DO is ii processd in dpp WB colour temp 46K then sharps and NR in PSCC. It's taken around 5.30pm last night bright sunny day with heavy clouds. This is most likely one of those clouds but still bright.

cheers for the thoughts on my previous images huge help thought provoking many thanks

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this roe buck. This is your best frame i have seen of yours of the roe deer at least. Like the composition and that direct stare right through you. The tall grass is also nice. It gives a very nice sense of the environment. Maybe a touch brighter on the buck. Image quality also looks pretty good. Interesting that the rut is in July/August. The white-tails i photograph rut in November/December.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Stu, this is 'super duper' and great to see an image to couple your exchanges of conversation.

Agree with John on the shot and framing, I also like the fact you have the sky partially coming into frame top LHC. Techs look good and you are gaining more and more with each posting. Overall I think the image carries a slight green cast, so slightly upping the WB and moving the Tint slider to the right helps, ditto a bit more exp. Personally I might add some vibrancy & saturation just to bring some life, but that might be too far from the original capture, either clone or reduce in opacity some of the white heads so they are a little less distracting.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Nice view of this roe buck. This is your best frame i have seen of yours of the roe deer at least. Like the composition and that direct stare right through you. The tall grass is also nice. It gives a very nice sense of the environment. Maybe a touch brighter on the buck. Image quality also looks pretty good. Interesting that the rut is in July/August. The white-tails i photograph rut in November/December.
    Hiya John thanks for the kind words about the frame.

John roe are pretty unique,well in fact they are singularly unique in the whole of ungulates. They rut now but the female delays inplantation of the embryo for I think 4 months (I'm no expert buddy),so they have their kids(correct name for once not fawn or calf but kid) around late may. Their fawns are tiny tiny things so presumably this has something to do with them being born when there is lots of cover. but that doesn't really explain why they rut so early. This is a true native John utterly adapted to lowland northern temperate climate. Most of our other deer: red (native like your elk) fallow and I think sikka(non native Steve might be able to help he knows them better than I) rut as with your whitetail.

john the other big difference is how small the antlers are. This is what they call a 4 pointer. the head "rack" you call it wont develop much more than this . Older guys 4 years on simply show more points usually six at first . But they will never have those big antlers you see on your white tail

many thanks I did wonder on brightness

stu

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve thanks both for the words and the edit could I burn the odd flower,knock it back that way( GENTLEY!!).? The flower on his butt is slightly bothersome but I quite like how the cow parsely( I#m pretty sure it's that) runs though the frame ,so eventually decided to leave alone.

Buddy I had problems with WB probably spent nearly an hour wrestling with it,I nabbed a few frames,so flicked back and forth, between eye dropper colour temp and thel AWB ambiance and white. I like the edit Steve,it seems right WB wise that smidge brighter also works !! with the clouds varing the light so much sadly I am unsure on the exact conditions brightness wise,but I certainly prefer your edit to mine on that score,so I don't think you have gone too far

I did also add a tiny bit of sat and notched colour tone to the red side. I was very aware of making the frame too pink, and didn't want to over cook things. Maybe I was over cautious. But that WB ,my start point, was such a struggle for me I think it's worth me mentioning.

huge thanks as always

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, the good thing is, you have a good eye for things and can hone that, something that is hard to teach. PP is easy as that is something you learn in time, but both you and John have turned a huge corner and the two of you should be well pleased.

My philosophy is not to teach or provide a silver bullet, just to point you in a direction and to allow you to make mistakes along the way, then you learn, it's the best way in my book. I've done the silver bullet and that back fires because folk then do not understand why & what they are doing.

With sliders it's always easier to push them way too far, then you see what happens, you can then peg things back with the knowledge of what you are doing and the effect it has on the file. Folk talk about adding 'a couple of points', what does that mean, absolutely nothing, what is a 'points' value? Yes, see what the sliders do, but you may only need 6 or 18 or 22, plus some sliders you just leave at zero, it's just about learning and in time knowing what is required. Remember, I've been dabbling with colour since '79 and Macs since '94 so I might just have the edge on you.

Keep going, it's all working.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- I loved this image. beautiful settings and and nice details inspite of being small in frame. I am 50-50 on the flower in front of its back portion but still i very much liked the frame. Steve's RP has definitely improved the image and shown the right way.

Very nicely done.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Hi Stu -- I loved this image. beautiful settings and and nice details inspite of being small in frame. I am 50-50 on the flower in front of its back portion but still i very much liked the frame. Steve's RP has definitely improved the image and shown the right way.

Very nicely done.

TFS !
    ha ha we mused that flower aswell Haseeb great point to make, I'm still a bit unsure,I do like the way the flowers run through the frame ,and I suppose it's better that flower is on the back portion not the face this time

Beyond that thank you kind sir

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely capture, Stu!

Steve is absolutely right: you have the eye for it, the passion, and now PP skills coming on so nicely. Keep having fun, we all enjoy your images and reading your stories.

I really like the way you captured your subject here looking back at the camera, love the eye contact. Composition works. I also like the vegetation and especially those flowers... Yes there is that one which got in the way a bit but you can fade it, burn it, alter colour slightly, there's lots you can do - just use your imagination

Colour cast issue resolved in Steve's RP. Aside from that I like everything about this frame: techs look great, sharpness is there, FG looks awesome, love the tall "veggies". Let us see some more, very nice work Stu, thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Stu, the good thing is, you have a good eye for things and can hone that, something that is hard to teach. PP is easy as that is something you learn in time, but both you and John have turned a huge corner and the two of you should be well pleased.

My philosophy is not to teach or provide a silver bullet, just to point you in a direction and to allow you to make mistakes along the way, then you learn, it's the best way in my book. I've done the silver bullet and that back fires because folk then do not understand why & what they are doing.

With sliders it's always easier to push them way too far, then you see what happens, you can then peg things back with the knowledge of what you are doing and the effect it has on the file. Folk talk about adding 'a couple of points', what does that mean, absolutely nothing, what is a 'points' value? Yes, see what the sliders do, but you may only need 6 or 18 or 22, plus some sliders you just leave at zero, it's just about learning and in time knowing what is required. Remember, I've been dabbling with colour since '79 and Macs since '94 so I might just have the edge on you.

Keep going, it's all working.

Steve
    kiddo you are a teacher (that's meant with hi regard) and a **** good un because you never say do this ..................................just " what about this buddy?"

Strangely I get sliders Steve............. I made a recording studio thingy,these tools are seriously powerful,one doesn't use all of 'em just the right ones to enhance the performance captured in the recording............ in the visual world that's the RAW

The digital world befuddles me,mate it always will I think. Editing will always be very slow and hard for me.............. we are all made differently .

you do teach ,but yeah no silver bullets

take care

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela thank you, forgive me I've been against a wall up a ladder in the sun all day and am folding ,tis unusually hot here they say records will break tomorrow Have you heard the saying "only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun" .....

thanks for the kind words I have read all: they are lovely , thank youl.

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Stu. It was a very solid capture and Steve's RP took it up a notch. I love the framing with the flowers on the left and the grasses on the right transitions from in focus to out again. Great look back pose -- the buck read the script going into that path / clearing. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Very nice Stu. It was a very solid capture and Steve's RP took it up a notch. I love the framing with the flowers on the left and the grasses on the right transitions from in focus to out again. Great look back pose -- the buck read the script going into that path / clearing. TFS
    Thanks Alex,we all need need a bit of luck, he could have so easily walked right by me and never a shutter pressed. It was a great image to share as We had such a struggle with WB . Steve's edit has been a real asset for me I hope I've learnt a bit more from his help

Thanks so much for the reply Alex, I need to send you a brief PM about those arm protectors mate!!
    thank you