Thread: Pine Marten

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pine Marten

While going through some old image folders to clean up a big backlog of unprocessed images I came across this Pine Marten image from 2017.

Nikon D800
    Nikon 200-500mm at 500mm
    ISO500
    f8 at 1/100

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

Name:  Pine MArten_1576.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  217.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty nice view of this marten. Like the visible claws and the vertical framing is nice. The "armpit" looks pretty hot. I could see a version with the marten higher in the tree. I hope to see one of this some day.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bud, thanks for posting this, good to see it bigger.

The colours are great, but the blown HL's just under the arm is a bit unfortunate. The dark BKG creates some great separation and the blue, winter colours are lovely. If I'm honest Andrew, 1/100 is a bit low and as presented the subject looks not pin sharp. You had the ISO so shooting around 1/800 should have been OK.

Hope to see more.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Andrew,

So good of you to share this image, thank you! What a cutie! I did some reading on the species and found out that a group of Pine Martens is called a "richness"

Composition works for me, although like John I can also see a version with the subject higher up in the tree. Love the colours and especially the dark blue BG - what does it consist of, is it a forest?

Cannot pass comment on sharpness...at least not tonight... this lovely Rhodesian Ridgeback I am looking after stepped on my reading glasses this morning ( silly me, they were lying near my bed) and the delicate frame broke - now I cannot focus properly Did look at the techs and in agreement with Steve, 1/100s probably not enough for this fast moving creature.

Overall image looks well exposed, save for that little bit already mentioned above - have you tried to reduce HL/exposure during PP?

Love the cute little face and long whiskers, as well as (semi-retractable) claws. This little tree dweller gave you such a fantastic pose - well seen and captured! Really hope you have more from this sighting, please share with us!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew -- i really liked the pose and the cool colours, seems winter ?

But on the first look i feel the image is not pin sharp, also lack of ss might have resulted in it. The subject is nicely separated against that dark bkg but lack of sharpness makes me a bit reserved for this image.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew for me I'd rather not comment on sharpness I'd also love to know more about the blue in the BKG and cause. I presume its sky through coniferous forest of some sort ? I adore the light on the subject set against the dark BKG it's fabulous But the hilights under the front leg also bother me. I've just posted a squirrel our pine marten's prey ,it's remarkable how similar their poses are and the bark of the tree

TFS

stu

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated!