Thread: Meet 'Harvey'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Meet 'Harvey'

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, with Jon, Keith & Stu posting Hares I thought I might give it a whirl, as they were all about me when trying to photograph the Little Owl. So, parking the Little Owl in the afternoon I moved about 100m to the edge of the Rapeseed field where these guys like to hang out. The whole area is covered in thistles and daisy bushes before you get to the edge of the Rapeseed field and so getting low down was not an option, even a foot off the ground you still had to contend with OOF bushes, but hey... and so dropping the camo netting over I just had to lie in wait.

After what seemed ages, about an hour, this Hare emerged from the field. Easily spooked by other Hares or themselves was frustrating, plus it appears it's 'jiggy jiggy' time with the Hares too!!!!

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Hare (Lepus europaeus) lying down in a field eating
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500/4 MKII with 2x MKIII Flexline ball head & Gitzo tripod
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/11 ISO4000
    Original format: Landscape, FF on width, slight crop from the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

This is looking great at ISO 4000, nice framing and lovely colours, wonderful rich tones. Love the "munching" pose and alert look as well as those ears pointing backwards, one looks a bit tattered at the end and it must be all that wrestling, or rather "boxing" that precedes the "jiggy jiggy"

Those daisies in the background add to the image and help create a cheerful mood, a happy summer feel Interesting that you went for F11, I assume you wanted both ears in as well as the "food" clearly visible. Like I said earlier, that bit of detail in the background does not hurt - on the contrary, it's so pretty

I like this as presented, and so looking forward to hear what the others have to say. Wonderful PP work Steve. Thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 07-21-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty nice view of this hare. The ears are huge compared to the cottontails i am use to seeing. I take it this is center point? Looks great for ISO 4000. The crop looks a little odd with the bottom and rear cut off. Must have been close to stop down or do you loose that much with the teleconverter?

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela & John.

F/8 is the base line with the 2x and the DoF wasn't enough, so straight to f/11. Yes John, CP on this frame, others are two to the right, one up as I was using single point AF as the eye was the key FP. With regard to the crop, there would have been too much mush below and the Hare had it's butt just in front of even more, taller shrubs.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful capture Steve! Love the wide eyed look.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Probably an older hare Steve probably male but ?? ... we have both just been staring a while ,your hares are so different neither of us can articulate the whys but it's there sure as white is black Steve the f 11 works really well It's lovely seeing an image here I know a tiny bit about trying to make, ha ha the veggies now and our wildlife so much fun!! .You did incredibly well to nab a spot where the face and especially eye are clear it really is not easy I see the OOF veggies you simply couldn't go lower .Very nice Steve I'd have maybe opted for your second choice of FP but appreciate the mush might have contracted from the frame tough call for me that one.

cheers for sharing always good seeing some else's take love the presentation !!

stu

They'll be jiggy a while yet Steve well into august

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Steve, the bright eye catches my attention immediately. The hare colour looks excellent, I like the greens but the shade of green looks a tiny bit alien to me, is it a little blue or magenta , anyway I like it but I would have expected it to be a little more green. Not a very eloquent way of expressing it I'm afraid.