Thread: Spotted Pardalote

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Pardalote

Attached Images Attached Images

My wife and I spent 3 lovely nights at Montville (an hour north of Brisbane), and I was able to snap a few birds at a local rainforest park. I would have like this Spotted Pardalote to have been on a lower branch, but it was not going to be. It was very low light and so I had to use my 580EXii flash set to ETTL. I'm not an expert when it comes to flash, but I'm happy with this one.
    Canon 7Dii, 100-400@371mm, 1/400th sec, f5.6, iso500 in manual mode. Feedback always appreciated and learned from. Thanks.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite honestly never thought flash had been used, it didn't occur to me until I read your text. I lke the colours and exposure, the only thing for me is that you were pointing up to the subject, I appreciate you take what you are offered but looking uphill doesn't do it for me- sorry.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Flash works well here to fill in the shadows.

Steep shooting angle does not work here.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Flash was a wise move, but the overhead shooting angle is really tough and leaves you with DOF issues; everything falls off from the eye. I'd add a bit more on the left side of the frame if you end up keeping this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The flash looks well balanced. Pretty neat looking bird. Nothing you could do about the steep angle. Looks pretty nice background wise for shooting in the forest.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the feedback. As I said, I would have liked the bird at eye height, but I'm still ok with the angle as is...I know others aren't.
    Jonathan: I'm glad the flash wasn't overdone...some of Glenn Bartley's tips helped here.
    Dorian: In regards to the crop, why do you feel it needs more on the LHS? (the original does have more)
    Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Pardalote2

Attached Images Attached Images

I decided to post another view of the same Pardalote. I feel this is a better view (not so much looking up) and HA. Thoughts?
    Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful bird and I would be really happy to have either frame.
    I like the secong image a lot more because the crop has made it look less steep. The tighter crop has lessened the IQ of the image so I would add some canvas right and left. I love the HA on the second post.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail. Thank you for the feedback. We often go to Montville for some R&R. Mary Cairncross Park was developed some years ago, and used to be a good place for a picnic etc. Now there is a reserve there. The light is quite low as is usual for a "rainforest" setting, so I had to use flash, so I'm glad it looks ok. I was hoping to see a Noisy Pitta, but there's more chance in Spring/Summer. They're very elusive colourful birds...one of my bucket list birds...have never seen one yet, but they're supposed to be at this park...oh well. Next time you're "down under"?? it's worth a view. Having second thoughts about the hide at Inala, although Tasmania is calling me again! Cheers.
    https://www.mary-cairncross.com.au/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would not have guessed this was flashed, very well done. Prefer the second post.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Greg...yes, flash has always been a confusing part of my photography, but i'm getting better. Cheers.