Thread: White Tipped Sicklebill

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White Tipped Sicklebill

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken in the cloud forests of Costa Rica under overcast skies and jungle canopy using fill flash set at approximately -3. Despite my best efforts, it's still looks a little flashed. The other issue I am having is with chromatic aberration. What do others do for images that appear flashed and any good suggestions to remove chromatic aberrati other than going over the areas with the desaturation brush. I am aware that one can set the flash at -4 by using the camera to adjust the settings.

Iso-2500, 500 mm PF, F7 .1, 640th, D 500, handheld, SB5000 fill flash -3, 70% of full frame
    Name:  White-Tipped-Sicklebill-Edit-copy-3-bp.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  420.9 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Moe, sorry cant help w your questoin. What camera body were you using? I like your image very much. There are some funky tings going on around the bird, posterizaton, artifacts? Don't know. Also, the eye really looks flashed. Hope you get some useful info.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with what Ann has said here. But boy what a neat looking bird. That curved bill is something.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird is awesome.. wish I could help. Worth fixing.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting pose of a neat looking little bird Moe, with nice colour co-ordination of bird, BG, and perch. I don't use flash so can't help you there, although if you hadn't mentioned the flash I wouldn't have seen it.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Moe, beautiful bird, lovely pose. I never use flash so I cannot help with that. Maybe Artie or someone else can answer your questions. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a great look at this wonderful bird, minus the artifacts/halos Ann correctly notes. And yes, the bird looks very heavily flashed. Looking at your settings, I don't think going to -4 would help you. I'm rarely below
    -2 when using ETTL, and that's on bright and/or high contrast birds. Was this at a set-up? If yes, I'd go with manual flash as you know exactly how much light is being thrown. I expose for the scene, then use the
    flash - usually at 1/16 to 1/64 - to add contrast and detail to the subject. Is this a natural background or a backdrop?
    -

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is not a setup but a single on camera SB5000 flash. Background is natural. Here is a corrected repost. The edge issue appears to be a strong noise issue, removed now with DxO/Nik Filters 2. Top image with original noise, bottom removed.
    Last edited by Moe Richard; 07-20-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: posted wrong image