Thread: Tri-colored Heron

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tri-colored Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Read more about Circle B Bar Reserve in the Birds As Art Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I wrote, available on the Birds As Art Online Store. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
    1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 1000 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped slightly and canvas added to the right side for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the downstroke pose and the setting. Take it the bird was perched on the dead tree when it took off.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

I love the downstroke wings, angle in frame, soft background with enough detail to be interesting.
    I might consider a bit more sharpening on the bird, some areas seem just a bit soft.
    Nice canvas extension.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Like the downstroke pose and the setting. Take it the bird was perched on the dead tree when it took off.
    Hey John, thank you for viewing and commenting. The bird was perched on the dead branch, he was showing signs of wanting to fly so I was holding focus on the head and neck area. So fast though I only got off a couple frames as it leapt off the branch. Here is is before flying.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Joe:

I love the downstroke wings, angle in frame, soft background with enough detail to be interesting.
    I might consider a bit more sharpening on the bird, some areas seem just a bit soft.
    Nice canvas extension.

Cheers

Randy
    Hey Randy, thank you for viewing and commenting. I revisited the image and tweaked it a bit, added a curve for more contrast and used the Texture slider on the bird. I checked the focus, it was on the neck area but the depth of field was only 17 inches (about 43cm) so the tip of the near wing I think is just out of the depth of field. Here is a repost.
    Joe Przybyla