Thread: Atlantic Puffin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Atlantic Puffin

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Iceland July 2019. Bright cloudy day.
    This is probably my best BIF shot of the trip. Problem is I had to clone out an OOF puffin sitting in the BG below and to the right of the puffin ;-( I did get other good shots once he had passed the puffin but this was the best wing position (of course)
    Canon 1 DX 600mm v 3 handheld.
    You have to handhold for these shots because the wind is so strong on the cliff tops and the ground so full of burrows and holes so you have to sit or kneel or you run the risk of getting blown off or falling off the cliffs. Besides, if you stand with a big tripod, the puffins will not come in and will veer off to sea and circle until you leave or maintain a low profile.
    A camo sheet would be deadly here because you would end up parasailing off the cliff edge!
    7.1 SS 1/2500 ISO 1250
    About 70% FF
    Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply superb flight shot, with great wing position, nice approach angle, comp, fish, feet, background all good. You could take a light green brush and paint the whitish areas a bit (or a bit more if you did already), but they are not really bothersome. Fine image as posted.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I do not see how you could improve the image... looks spot on. Good work cloning. There are three darker areas of green below and slightly right of the bird, also the lighter circular highlight areas that could be smoothed out with the Paint Brush tool in Photoshop. Set the opacity to 20%, pick up the green of the background and bush over them until they satisfy your eye. I never read of anyone using the Paint Brush but it works wonderful sometimes rather than the clone stamp. I did a edit to show the results. If I shouldn't have edited your image I will remove it. Thank you for sharing, Gail.

P.S. This is one I would print and hang on my wall.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    You could take a light green brush and paint the whitish areas a bit (or a bit more if you did already), but they are not really bothersome. Fine image as posted.
    Hey Bill... Seems great minds think alike. I was doing the edit as Bill was posting his comment.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Impressive shot. Good job at postprocessing to remove the distraction. Excellent wing position and tiny fish.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love the fish in the beak all windblown Gail, nice and sharp and dof very good. I like the BG, overall well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. Love the pose and of course all those eels. Background is very nice as well. The bird is nice and sharp.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose, sharp, well exposed.
    I would leave in the highlights in that Joe removed, they sort of curve with the pose
    and add to the BG.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail:

The pose, sharpness, colors and fish are outstanding.

I would tweak the lower bg a bit as suggested.

Glad you survived the experience!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Gail, love the pose and the fish are an added bonus. I honestly wouldn’t have known that you cloned that had you not mentioned it, I agree that maybe smoothing it out a bit more with some green might help a bit. Still an awesome capture regardless, thanks for sharing!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a remarkable incoming Puffin flight capture, Gail. Wonderful fish filled beak, curled as they are, and clear of the eyes. Love the trailing feet, and I like background.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    I do not see how you could improve the image... looks spot on. Good work cloning. There are three darker areas of green below and slightly right of the bird, also the lighter circular highlight areas that could be smoothed out with the Paint Brush tool in Photoshop. Set the opacity to 20%, pick up the green of the background and bush over them until they satisfy your eye. I never read of anyone using the Paint Brush but it works wonderful sometimes rather than the clone stamp. I did a edit to show the results. If I shouldn't have edited your image I will remove it. Thank you for sharing, Gail.

P.S. This is one I would print and hang on my wall.
    Hi Joe,
    I have absolutely no issues with you tinkering with my shot. Always a good learning experience to see other people's ideas!I did use the paint brush on the specular highlight in RUC but left the bottom circles as is. The cloned out OOF distant puffin was just under the chest.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm on vacation in Canada right now, Niagara Falls, but I had to chime in to let you know how much I love this shot!! Great everything, from the pose to the HA to the BG to the Details to the fish in the beak!! One of your best IF images. Very well done Gail.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com