Thread: This way...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default This way...

Attached Images Attached Images

Towards the end of the day we thought we might try and catch up with the heard we encountered a few hours earlier, but keeping on the track, not off roading and stressing them out. As we made our way suddenly there was an almighty crash and around six elephants of different ages emerged, this one was was guiding the young elephant in the right direction in which to go with her trunk. The light was just ridiculous in terms of colour, really strange and at times, bathed elements in this reddish/orange colour ie along the trunk, but also some of the reddish soil was picked up on their hides too.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Elephants guiding a baby elephant along the track
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/4.5 HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO5000
    Original format: Portrait, FF on width, slight crop from the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

Such beautiful light! I do see it every now and then in the afternoons and wish for a subject to photograph. I often think even a warthog would look awesome when bathed in such colour

Love those golds and reds, and especially the way mom's trunk is partially lit up by the sun. Colour and light make the image for me, I am once again amazed how natural forces can create such beauty!

Regarding subjects, I think everyone will agree, you never fail to give them justice: lovely detail and textures on those eles and colour is spot-on, good head angle from mom. I am sure you wished for the little one to turn around and face you, but like you said in your intro " no offloading and stressing them out", especially when there are calves around

You always make the best of every opportunity Steve, and this is no exception. Processing is superb. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing, many thanks for sharing.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this adult and the little one at the bottom. Facing towards you would have been nice but i don't mind this. It's like the mom is herding them along. Didn't realize people go off roading in Africa.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Didn't realize people go off roading in Africa.
    Hello John,

Off roading in National Game Reserves is forbidden here in SA. It is an offence that is punishable by law. There are Private Reserves where this is only allowed in certain situations, but bear in mind there are qualified rangers who do the driving. This enables visitors to see the big cats, like lions and cheetahs and leopards Going off road is controlled though, only two or maximum three vehicles at a time. There is communication between the rangers who ask permission before approaching a sighting, so you never find four or five vehicles surrounding the animals. If the lions, leopards or chetahs have small cubs no one gets close to them ( no off roading) until the little ones are about three months of age. I was lucky with those lion cubs I took images of recently because they were near the road. The lioness/mom was comfortable with vehicles and people ( which is the case in most private reserves because the animals are more used to vehicles and the presence of humans) so she did not take them away.

Hope this explains things Have a wonderful week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, taken in your neck of the woods. I just liked the way 'mum' just guided the calf with her trunk, but also the scale. Colours, well just crazy, hope next month might be the same, but will be doing more 'pushing the boundaries' for me, if the opportunity arises...

John, Gabriela has added again a good insight, but photographing in Botswana is one place you can off road and a great experience too, albeit I'm always concerned about the bushes etc that you just go through and flatten, but huge fun and can be exhilarating. If you are car sick then avoid it. India also has a non off road policy, but here it is chaos on legs with often inches to spare between you and the next vehicle, this is where planning and vision helps, otherwise you find yourself needing a can opener to get out of the jam!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like my neck of the woods, Steve

Such is the light at times and you captured it so well. Cannot take my eyes of this golden strip along the elephant's trunk, makes me think of a ray of sunlight through a curtain
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful and enchanting behaviour caught Steve,tis funny we were watching ele's do this recently on TV just days back. The light is amazing. Thanks also to Gabriela for the insights to John and you building on that,something I have no understanding of previously.....fascinating

TFS no nits

stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous processing I love the light, and beautiful colours. I see the title and I get the intonation but I feel the moment has been captured a little too late, the female looks a little disengaged and the calf has already gone that way.