Thread: Secret Life of Eastern Kingbird's Nest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Secret Life of Eastern Kingbird's Nest.

Attached Images Attached Images

I had the privilege of photographing a nice Eastern Kingbird's nest at eye level recently. Lot's of good action, and when I felt that my presence was 100% tolerated by them I went in even closer to see if I could get some neat intimate stuff. Had the kingbirds not liked my move I would have backed away immediately, but low and behold it was as if I was not there standing halfway up on my step-ladder . I got a lot of good opportunities, with this one being my favorite. I did notice that bees and wasps were by far the favorite on the menu - I suspect that the kingbirds had also found themselves some nests to visit, albeit for a different purpose!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/13, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, full-frame, a couple of white flecks in the branches removed, as well as on the adult's head, darkened the lower right corner branches.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Dan, as you said this is real intimate...The birds are beautifully framed by the branches of the tree. Lovely detail as per normal from you. This is an exceptional image with a great look at the chick being fed by the parent. From low down muddy to half way up a step ladder Great work and very well presented.

Will

3. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Just wonderful, applause for your effort and composition is lovely. Everyone is cozy and getting a dose of vitamin"Bee"

5. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this shot Daniel and the natural setting. Details look really nice and sharp.Detail of the bee is great going down the gullet.Just a beautiful setting all around. TFS

7. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to see an image 'typifying' nature, very well timed Dan and at f/13...

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really great image. The IQ rocks and I love how the parents' head is framed by the branch.
    Perfect timing with the bee going into the mouth.

11. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent detail and wonderful behavior.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Great to see an image 'typifying' nature, very well timed Dan and at f/13...

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks gang! Steve, glad you noticed the techs...I wanted to make sure that both the adult and whichever chick being would be within dof. I took a chance on the SS, but it turned out in my favour :-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. Very nice frame. The moment you have captured here is spot on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, glad you noticed the techs...I wanted to make sure that both the adult and whichever chick being would be within dof. I took a chance on the SS, but it turned out in my favour :-)
    Hi Dan, just a thought, but could you also add a bean bag too, at the top of the ladder (secured), to bolster more support? F/13 rarely do I see folk go beyond f/8 or 9 here, apart from Artie, but a great call and quick thinking for sure. I'm really surprised how many folk done use that little button on the camera to achieve DoF.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. Yes, a beanbag would be a good idea, but at 1/400s. I'm good to go freehand. That was a fun nest, and as luck would have it not thirty feet from this one a waxwing was sitting on her eggs on a wide open nest, and also at eye level...another project!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That was a fun nest, and as luck would have it not thirty feet from this one a waxwing was sitting on her eggs on a wide open nest, and also at eye level...another project!
    Excellent Dan, fingers crossed for you, as this could create an excellent series of images and the Waxwing is such a beautiful bird. Not sure the ladders will ever make the 'golden ticket' status of Mr Salem's truck , but hopefully they will be lucky for for you.

All the best.