Thread: Green-and-black Fruiteater

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green-and-black Fruiteater

This frame is a huge departure from my usual super clean backgrounds, but I did this deliberately.
    This Andean cotinga inhabits Subtropical and Temperate Forest (~5,000 - 10,000 feet) from Western
    Venezuela south to Central Peru. They forage in the tops of trees, and thick foliage rarely offers a clear
    view. This male was descending to a feeding station, but I decided to shoot him in representative habitat
    instead. So many tropical shots are set-up (mine included), and I really wanted to use this opportunity
    to show this striking species as one would observe it in the wild. This feels more like a field photo than a
    set-up, and that's exactly what I wanted to achieve. I know this won't be for everyone......

Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS II on EOS 1DX Mark II
    1/100 at f/5.6, ISO 2000, tripod

Processed in LR CC. I selectively reduced the exposure on the various leaves to combat glare on them.
    I think it was a fairly subtle fix that helps accentuate the bird against the foliage.

Name:  green-and-black fruiteater 070819.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  540.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

But for the intruding stick on the right frame-edge, I do not mind the habitat at all. But, playing devil's advocate, if the bird lives and forages in the tops of trees and came down to a feeder, how natural is it?

Sharp with a good exposure and a lovely right foot!

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    But for the intruding stick on the right frame-edge, I do not mind the habitat at all. But, playing devil's advocate, if the bird lives and forages in the tops of trees and came down to a feeder, how natural is it?

with love, artie
    More natural than a completely exposed perch, but I hear what you're saying! Were it not for the disclosure, I think it would be easy to pass this off as wholly natural. The same can rarely be said of truly set-up shots.

And since you've mentioned it, the little stick is now bothering me as well. An easy fix. Cheers!
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 07-16-2019 at 07:20 PM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Way to go Dorian, glad to see your image and commending you for your efforts to shoot these high altitude birds. Not easy and certainly hard work. What a pretty creature!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for another rare bird treat.. You could even
    clean this one up a bit for a more "artistic" shot if desired.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now if you were David Attenborough (or had his budget) you would be hoisted up in the tree canopy with them! Yes to getting rid of the twig but otherwise how would we be able to get a look at these birds. Lovely shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Glad that it bugged you too :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love all these new birds.
    Nice image and if you agree with cloning out the twig I would clone out the OOF twig coming out of the top of the head!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great looking bird, and well done Dorian on capturing this lovely frame. I really like the colours throughout, and agree with Gail about the little twig coming out of the head.

Good work

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool little bird Dorian and I like the overall colors and details. Looks like a good shot in the jungle, if not at a setup. About as good as you can hope for. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool bird. If this is where the bird lives than this frame shows it well.