Thread: Great Blue Heron With Water Snake...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron With Water Snake...

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I believe the water snake is a Banded Water Snake which looks very similar to a Cottonmouth Water Moccasin. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 400mm
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1100 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well caught, I would possibly reduce contrast a little bit and maybe reduce the blues.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well caught, I would possibly reduce contrast a little bit and maybe reduce the blues.
    Hey Jon, thank for viewing and commenting, especially being another set of eyes. Colors were kind of heavy. I must have worked up a lot of images that day and built up a tolerance for color. I notice that happens sometimes. Then the next day or if someone else looks at the image it is.... whoaaa, what is that. Here I reworked the image changed and couple things and went with a 2x3 crop. Also upgraded Color Navigator and profiled my screen.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is nice. Neat the great blue has a snake. I don't mind all the vegetation. Like the s curve the neck makes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very nice in-habitat view, and the snake is great. However, the the vegetation as presented is neither here nor there; It's not blurred enough to aid focus additional attention on the subject,
    but it's too blurred to see any detail on it. You were wide open so you have no room to go in the former direction, but I might have taken a few frames at f/8 for comparison.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the vegetation as is and if I had to pick between the two I'd go for the original post in terms of tonality. Great view of the snake's body. The head? Not so much.

When?

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I like the vegetation as is and if I had to pick between the two I'd go for the original post in terms of tonality. Great view of the snake's body. The head? Not so much.

When?

with love, a
    Thanks Artie, will revisit the image with your comments in mind. I have a series of the bird catching, killing and eating the snake. When.... 4/13/19.
    Joe Przybyla

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jo, yes I prefer the repost.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like both the versions,like the position of the catch and surrounding,a beautiful image.