Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Burrowing Owl in Flight with June Bug

  1. #1
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    78
    Threads
    25
    Thank You Posts

    Default Burrowing Owl in Flight with June Bug

    From a series of owl in flight shots I managed to take yesterday morning... Thanks for looking and, as always, would appreciate any C&C...

    The two issues I already see myself, one is the direction of the light that has put the underwings in shadow, and one is perhaps the less than ideal wing position...

    Nikon D5, 600mm f/4E, f/5.6, 1/5000", ISO 500, on monopod and on a sunny morning, processed in C1Pro and PS CC...

    Name:  190713_691_Owls 1-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  214.8 KB
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 07-14-2019 at 02:31 PM.

  2. #2
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mansfield Center, CT
    Posts
    2,450
    Threads
    272
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Looks like a terrific shot w prey, would you be able to post this larger? 1800x1200 up to 600KB

  3. #3
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    78
    Threads
    25
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Looks like a terrific shot w prey, would you be able to post this larger? 1800x1200 up to 600KB
    Thanks, and Done...

  4. #4
    Super Moderator arash_hazeghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, California, United States
    Posts
    16,787
    Threads
    1,144
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Very cool shot Kambiz, head and the prey are both sharp and love the BG. Light was a bit harsh here creating shade on the pupil and the image has a red/orange cast that can be removed in PP. finally the bird is a bit too large in the frame, I would loosen the crop it's an easy task even if RAW doesn't have room, you can easily extend canvas. The prey is very cool BTW

    TFS
    New! Nikon Capture One Pro Guide
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/Guides/


    ------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

  5. #5
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ladner,B.C.
    Posts
    667
    Threads
    110
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Lovely BG, dead-on focus on the eyes looking right at you, full wing spread and tail flare---an excellent image Kambiz

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Daniel Cadieux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    24,019
    Threads
    3,693
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    I'm not seeing the full image for some reason, with the canvas cut at right (the thunmbnail seems fine though). As for what I can see, I like the incoming flight path, sharpness on the eyes, and golden tones of the warm light. Very cool colourful prey item!

  7. #7
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ladner,B.C.
    Posts
    667
    Threads
    110
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I'm not seeing the full image for some reason, with the canvas cut at right (the thunmbnail seems fine though). As for what I can see, I like the incoming flight path, sharpness on the eyes, and golden tones of the warm light. Very cool colourful prey item!
    I had the same problem Daniel--fixed by clicking on, and dragging to the right, the right hand edge of my browser page..

  8. #8
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    5,867
    Threads
    828
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Looking real good here...Lovely colours throughout, with a nice flight pose with good details.. The prey adds.

    Will

  9. #9
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    6,489
    Threads
    1,259
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Very nice. The prety is pretty neat as well. Agree with the bird being too tight in the frame. The colors of the background match the bird nicely.

  10. #10
    BPN Member dankearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    7,238
    Threads
    1,060
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Just an awesome frame most any of us would love to have.. Congrats.
    Dan Kearl

  11. #11
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    78
    Threads
    25
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Very cool shot Kambiz, head and the prey are both sharp and love the BG. Light was a bit harsh here creating shade on the pupil and the image has a red/orange cast that can be removed in PP. finally the bird is a bit too large in the frame, I would loosen the crop it's an easy task even if RAW doesn't have room, you can easily extend canvas. The prey is very cool BTW

    TFS
    Thank you so much Arash.. Yes, it was an open field on a sunny day, so the light turned rather harsh fairly quickly. Will work on the color cast and extending the canvas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
    Lovely BG, dead-on focus on the eyes looking right at you, full wing spread and tail flare---an excellent image Kambiz
    Thanks a lot Bob...

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I'm not seeing the full image for some reason, with the canvas cut at right (the thunmbnail seems fine though). As for what I can see, I like the incoming flight path, sharpness on the eyes, and golden tones of the warm light. Very cool colourful prey item!
    Thank you so much Daniel... Not sure what the issue was in my posting of the larger image.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Looking real good here...Lovely colours throughout, with a nice flight pose with good details.. The prey adds.

    Will
    Thanks a lot Will... The rather funny-looking colorful prey was my own favorite part of the image :)

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Very nice. The prety is pretty neat as well. Agree with the bird being too tight in the frame. The colors of the background match the bird nicely.
    Thank you so much John...

    Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Just an awesome frame most any of us would love to have.. Congrats.
    Thanks a lot... Very much appreciate it...

    Cheers,
    -K.

  12. #12
    Publisher Arthur Morris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indian Lake Estates, FL
    Posts
    30,352
    Threads
    1,338
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Wonderful photo and the bug is simply amazing!

    a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions.: we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.
    BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

    BIRDS AS ART Instructional Photo Tours (IPTs): Fort DeSoto, SEPT 2018. Bosque, DEC 2018. San Diego, JAN 2019

    E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net for BPN member IPT discount info.










  13. #13
    Avian Moderator David Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    6,620
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Great shot Kam!! Love the beetle with the open wings. Now just get there in the early morning :)
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

  14. #14
    BPN Member Mervyn Marsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Australia Melbourne
    Posts
    226
    Threads
    63
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Nice shot Kam, love the tones in this, the owl looks awesome with it's tasty snack, well done, Cheers, Merv

  15. #15
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    78
    Threads
    25
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Salem View Post
    Great shot Kam!! Love the beetle with the open wings. Now just get there in the early morning :)
    Thanks a lot Dave... I was there pretty early in the morning... It is just that the stupid owls did not start the action until the sun was further up

  16. #16
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    78
    Threads
    25
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Wonderful photo and the bug is simply amazing!

    a
    Thanks a lot Artie...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mervyn Marsh View Post
    Nice shot Kam, love the tones in this, the owl looks awesome with it's tasty snack, well done, Cheers, Merv
    Thank you so much Merv...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics