Thread: Theme: A mouth full...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: A mouth full...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF400DO I f8 1/800 ISO 800

With well worn and fading post nesting breeding plumage, this beauty gets good meal for self. While I like the environment, wish this beauty was further from the vegetation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David: What a catch! (photo included)...Do you want fries with that fish? . Looks similar to our White-faced Heron. TFS

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great detail, surely it couldn't actually swallow that!

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A mouthful for sure. I don't really mind the environment that is how you see them up here. The bird is nice and sharp.

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp and cluttered. Was the fish alive when it was captured? It looks quite ratty at best ..

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Driscoll View Post
    Great detail, surely it couldn't actually swallow that!
    Thanks to all for greatly valued comments.
    I was walking along and heard a very loud splash. In fact it was so loud I thought maybe a gator got something. Turned and saw this hunter with head neck and chest deep in the vegetation. Out the head pops with this huge wiggling and unfortunate meal speared with both upper and lower beak right behind the head. I thought for sure it would wiggle off as it was actually moving the herons head as the hunter walked back onto dry land just behind this location (where the catch was made). The GBH stabbed several times once it got it off it's beak. Then this beauty walked it back into the water (all bloody and good and dead) and dipped it a couple of times. This frame (one of many) was the last time it raised the meal then carefully aligned it in the beak (not like this frame) with top and bottom of the fish in the beak rather than sides. Head back and it was gone fast. In fact at 5fps the tip of the tail is all you see in next frame.
    So, good eye Artie, it was a very fresh catch that was good and dead at this point. And yes Colin it easily swallowed this meal whole. I have many cluttered frames with all the vegetation and only posted this one for theme.

ps
    Hey Colin, I recently watched a nature video where a GBH came up on a jack rabbit (as big as a medium sized dog) resting in a gully. The GBH proceeded to harshly stab/grab the rabbit about the head. Once motionless, down the hatch it went (head first also). This was a full grown jack rabbit that had to weigh more than the heron. So, these beauties will eat almost anything and are impressive hunters.
    Last edited by David Roach; 07-14-2019 at 11:49 AM.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be quite happy with this frame.
    What a cool sighting David.
    Good DOF on the fish and the GBH.
    Agree with you that BG is a bit cluttered but the action and prey certainly go a long way to make up for the BG!