Thread: Juvenile Great Blue Heron With A Florida GAR

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Great Blue Heron With A Florida GAR

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED, image captured at 300mm
    1/1600 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 560 Auto WB HH
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I am wincing as i write this Joe. The juvie looks mighty proud of his hunting technique and i like the eyes so big and set back trying to get a closer view of what is on the end of its beak! Super nice details on the GBH. TFS

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

That's remarkable. The close-up framing is just right, the feather detail on the neck is outstanding. The expression is priceless!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A classic portrait with dinner (only you Joe)... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the spear-fishing catch! Awesome details, I especially love the "scales" along the heron's neck. A bit hot on the whites at the base of the mouth, is there anything there to draw out during raw conversion?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I love the spear-fishing catch! Awesome details, I especially love the "scales" along the heron's neck. A bit hot on the whites at the base of the mouth, is there anything there to draw out during raw conversion?
    Hey Dan, thanks for viewing and commenting. Fixed it... here is a repost. That little area under the bill controls the exposure on a Great Blue Heron. That is the brightest area and will clip/blow out in a heartbeat.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice catch. The bird is nice and sharp. The green background is right on. This would have made a nice vertical. I know easier said than done after the fact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Grat catch by you both, love the prey item, RP is a subtle but worthwhile improvement

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that's a close-up Joe---right down to the blood vessels in the tongue.With fishing skills like this this youngster should live a long life. Nice work on the RP bringing out the details of the infamous chin patch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like it. Wish for a bit more head turn by the bird. There were no "hot whites" in the chin at least on my laptop. The highest RGB values I could find were in the mid-240s. That area looks grayed out in the repost. That and other areas around the face seem to have a bluish-green color cast ...

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Like it. Wish for a bit more head turn by the bird. There were no "hot whites" in the chin at least on my laptop. The highest RGB values I could find were in the mid-240s. That area looks grayed out in the repost. That and other areas around the face seem to have a bluish-green color cast ...

with love, a
    Hey Artie, thank you for viewing and commenting. I revisited the image, pretty much knowing what caused the bluish-green color. Here is a repost with the original cheek patch as it was in the master file.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Joe, Much much better from where I sit :

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.