Thread: Theme: black oyster catcher with clam

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: black oyster catcher with clam

These birds are quite accepting of human presence and will often allow a slow approach to get quite close to them. I hoped to watch and see how this fellow opened this clam but he left before dining. Canon 7DII, 400 DO IS, HH. ISO640,f/5.6,1/800Name:  black oyster catcher with clam.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  408.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oystercatchers are some of my favorites - gotta love that orange beak. The meal is a nice touch, but the lack of eye contact really hurts. Flat light doesn't help that bill shine as it needs to either. Bird seems to have a slight pink cast to my eye, but I've been away from the compute for 2.5 weeks so get a second opinion on that before you change anything!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Bob, lovely lil clam and nice job on the exposure . Maybe try to lift the lower belly shadows... Wish the OYCA was more parallel to you and not downward. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this beauty in perfect habitat. The clam adds to it. Only wish for lower angle but like it as is. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Bob. The clam addsa nice touch of interest.
    You have nicely shown the black head and brown body and the downward tilt of the lens highlights the feet nicely.
    I did not see a pink cast when I first looked at the image but upon closer examination I do see a very slight cast as Dorian suggests. (I see it in the brown feathers but it is very minor).
    It is very hard to shoot these guys when they are foraging amongst the large rocks. I just wait and pray that they climb up on top of a rock to get a higher, more eye level view and that eliminates the rocky clutter in the BG.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fits the theme perfectly. Agree with what the ohters have said here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi and thanks to all of you for your comments. As much as I've tried I don't see a pink cast here, just a warmth to the browns on the back feathers, but it is useful to review the image with the perspective of that input.