Thread: Dwarf Mongoose

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dwarf Mongoose

Attached Images Attached Images

My companion and I were driving around in the Kruger Park last year when we spotted this Dwarf Mongoose, she was busy grooming and unaware of our presence. Within seconds another Dwarf Mongoose pitched up and the behaviour we witnessed from both indicated they were a pair, possibly busy mating. By the way, the species breed about four times per year and as soon as the new litter is born it is said they lose interest in the previous. The social structure of the species revolves around one mated Alpha pair and their offspring and the pack is usually made up of ten to eighteen members.

Although the male is subordinate to the matriarch, I was told he interferes - quite aggressively at times - with other members who engage in sexual activity. The Alpha female has priority when foraging and no one dares challenge her! Her pups are allowed to take food from the adults' mouth until they reach about three months of age. All members help raise those pups and every age group has a particular job description, they also compete with each other to groom and carry the young to gain favour with the Alpha pair.

Like with other Mongooses, the pupil of the eye is horizontal, giving them wider vision towards the back. They weigh about 200-350g and length is 38 cm (including tail which is about 17 cm), life span is three years.

Precious little creatures so I thought I'd share this just to show you what they look like. I don't have a lot of images from this sighting, they were fast as lightning and I could hardly follow them with my eyes, let alone photograph them. Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 500
    F6.3
    1/2000s

Hope you all have a great rest of the week, many thanks for viewing and for comments on my previous images - much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful textures! Good shot. Thanks for all the background info!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent Gabriela, you were indeed lucky to get this close before she bolted. Techs look good and I'm glad you waited to get the 'stroke' of the tongue. Very helpful that you added some informative info too, helps both sides, those who haven't and have seen these fascinating creatures, provides a nice insight.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Gabriela, I saw then when I was there and like you say they are quick little blighters! Lovely details and pleasant light, well done, not easily done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Matt, Steve and Jon!

Forgot to add in my intro, those little critters feed on insects and small reptiles, also eggs. I once saw a banded mongoose break an egg shell by throwing it backwards (between its hind legs) against a log. All mongooses do it except for the water mongoose who drops the egg from a standing position - I have yet to see this

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela , nice one !!!
    I do like the behaviour aspect in this frame , well timed to get the tongue .
    Good to have the info about this family of critters ....
    Well processed and i do like the fine detail that you extracted in the fur .

Overall well done and great field work in getting the shot , as they can be quite skittish , as far as i know !!!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Boetie Andreas,

Skittish they are indeed, and too quick to follow. Scurrying among leaves and logs... a bit like squirrels really.

Loved the behaviour aspect of the sighting with this one stretching and rolling among vegetation while the other was approaching carefully - a little courtship so a bit of play, great fun to watch

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the pose and the behavior you have captured here. Details look nice as well. Glad you were able to captured this moment. Thanks for the back story as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I liked the grooming pose with the tongue sticking out. And wonderful field work to get that close , I feel they must be very skittish. Like others, I too liked the texture and details and nice techs to go with. Very nicely done and that info makes it quite an interesting watch.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Haseeb, for your kind comments

I have a great number of books on wildlife/ animal behaviour and make a point of taking them along when I go to the wilderness Even though they take so much space, and space is so precious when one goes camping Started writing those lengthy introductions to my images some years ago when someone passing a rather sweet comment asked me also whether the subject was a cheetah or a leopard I then realised how important it is to give enough information.

To me BPN Wildlife is not just about sharing images and getting feedback, it is also a tool to raise awareness about wildlife issues and to learn about the natural world. I am often surprised to see new species I had no idea existed... like your Dhole... By the way, I still remember your "Dhole on a Roll" image, it made quite an impression on me...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light and details. I like the plant at left too. Looks like the tongue is ridged like a cat's, pretty neat. They sound like quite the characters!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, you have such a sensitivity towards your subjects..beyond the camera skills,I adore your work mate. I best stop there,but it hits me time after time on so many of your frames. I adore the light and detail,for me little to change,wonderful behaviour caught animals.... grooming always make enchanting subjects. The detail is stunning to my eyes.

Thanks for the notes on life cycle,I know a bit about these little charmers,but reading through your notes educated me a bit more ,who couldn't be fascinated by such amazing little guys.

A gorgeous little frame I like the plants, the ways the BKG drifts ways in focus and that light !!

I've wanted to reply to for a few days now,so have viewed a few times,ha ha she makes me smile each time.

TFS

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much for viewing and comments, Daniel and Stu. Such kind words, much appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea