Thread: Emerging from the bush...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Emerging from the bush...

Attached Images Attached Images

Probably more of a 'marmite' image, however this nice big old unit was reluctant to come out, perhaps a little in awe with the others who were, the real big tuskers of the group, around 65 years of age. I'm not so fussed about the 'visible' eye, for me it was the light and texture.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Elephant in bush
    Camera: Canon EOS IDX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/9 ISO2500
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's not marmite to me and I think know why you liked this, Steve

Indeed detail is fantastic and the vegetation frames the ele's face so nicely. Beautiful textures, the gorgeous light brings out wonderful detail. A glimpse of a giant creature passing by, relaxed and chewing a lazy mouthful of barely visible grass: a brief moment in time:)

I love it when you abandon the usual perspective because in doing so you make the viewer consider how nature/wildlife might look through someone else's eyes. My unhappiness - as photographer - at times stems from having only one perspective to play with. I used to think of myself as inspired, but when I view some of your images I really like the alternative perspective they offer. Looking at my work sometimes I think it's probably boring

Would print this really big on canvas and hang it above the brown leather couch in the study - love the dreamy feel of the frame with the ele's eyes closed and the OOF vegetation providing a ledge against I could rest my thoughts... Such nice work Steve, thank you for sharing.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My unhappiness - as photographer - at times stems from having only one perspective to play with. I used to think of myself as inspired, but when I view some of your images I really like the alternative perspective they offer.
    That is very kind of you Gabriela, but inspiring, I think I will leave it to those far better than me to do that. I know I will get my butt kicked next month when I will spend time with the person that inspires me and so the pressure will be on, but hey, we shouldn't just constantly wear those comfy slippers all the time, it's good to challenge ourselves whether it be - the angle, slow SS, shot wide or tight, using light etc...

The issue I think Gabriela is that we have only one frame to capture that moment which has to grab the viewer in whatever that might be. I also think it's a moment we see with our own eyes developing, but sadly sometimes it doesn't quite convey because the viewer wasn't witness too in the moments leading up to the pressing of the shutter.

Gabriela, we are here to inspire each other and learn from one another and you know, both Stu and Jon have got me to shoot a subject I haven't for a long time and will share in due course.

Hope you have a nice evening.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve for your kind reply.

Just one more thought, talking about photography and "grabbing" the viewer, I guess a great number of viewers are able to "see" what others try to convey, and some see even beyond that. To me photography is a bit like literature and I often seek for "secondary meaning" to what I am seeing. For example, here I don't just see an elephant face and a tusk - I see light and shadows, I hear rustle of leaves, I have a brief glimpse of this giant as he silently passes by - in other words, an experience

As photographer my greatest desire is that my images provide not just an expression of emotion, or a simple account of an action (the sighting), but also an experience. Now that is the tricky part, and I think it goes beyond good techs or nice processing skills and requires a greater understanding of the subject, its environment, and a special ability to portray what we usually refer to "mood and feel". I sincerely believe you have that ability, and this elephant image is but one example where you managed to capture the "soul" of the subject along with its closed eye and the tusk

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Based on the above, I think I will have to provide you with the 'skeleton' outline in what I wish to say and let you 'flesh' the bones out, as you convey things much better than I can ever do, thank you.

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely processed but sorry Steve as an image not really my cup of tea - a little busy for me, light dark green grey brown white, my eyes don't rest anywhere.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... well a marmite one
    But for me it does work , as i think the OOF leaves are giving some depth and illustrate that this guy was wandering somehow through the bush.
    What really grabs me here , is the fact that you have some really nice deep tones , lovely deep colors in the hide and the color contrast with the foliage .
    The details are as good as expected !!!!
    Very well processed !!!!

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the concept behind this one. The light is nice. The texture and detail on the elephant is excellent. Did not know elephants could live that long.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I really liked the thought process and the execution is even better IMO. The image has some mystery to it because of the foliage, light and shadows and that is what makes the image for me apart from your excellent field craft and processing . Very nicely done.

An image to try and copy the idea when i am out next time.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not sure what to think about it really, but as a positive it has had me staring at it for a lot longer than I usually do for most images. I like the light and the sense of mystery. I'm finding the shadowed areas a touch deep for my tastes, but the lit areas are warm and rich with texture.