Thread: Piping Plover ~ Least Tern Agression

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Piping Plover ~ Least Tern Agression

Attached Images Attached Images

While photographing shorebirds in Plymouth MA last year, on several occasions, I observed least tern females attempting to sit on Piping Plover Nests and lay eggs among the already laid plover clutch.

This plover was a bit tired of the least tern female attempting to get on it's nest every time it moved away to feed for a moment and was looking rather fierce towards to unwanted visitor.

Nikon D2Xs, 500 AFSII and TC14EII converter, f8, ISO 400.

Fabs Forns

Wow Jim, such action :eek:
    Was the nest close by?

Wish the Tern was a bit more to our right so enjoy the Plover's facial expression to the max, and I would erase the sharpening in the sand.

Where do you get all this beauties?

Axel Hildebrandt

Great action. Adding to Fabs's comments, the sand near the bottom between the two rocks looks as if you added canvas or cloned something out, which looks like a repetition of the surface.

Jody Melanson

What Fabs and Axel said. Nice action!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default To Feds and Axel

The plover nest was nearby, which is why the plover was tad upset. I would have liked a bit better angle for facial expressions on the plover, but then I would have lost the full angle of the wingspread and I may well have ended this display, which was intriguing to watch.

The images were shot at Plymouth Long Beach in Massachusetts, where I shot all summer last year for an upcoming show this year.

No cloning was done on the lower sand. It had rained hard with thunderstorms the evening below, and that's simply the pattern left by the rain in the normally dry sand.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool action! I wish we could see the terns head though. ANd there definitely looks like something is going on at the bottom of the frame ;)