Thread: Soft Toy in a Tree... This is for you, Steve:)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Soft Toy in a Tree... This is for you, Steve:)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

My friends and I had this lovely sighting one Sunday afternoon during a game drive. Having taken a number of frames using various cameras and lenses I could not help but grab a quick snapshot with my cellphone as well, which I shared with Steve. The title of my message was "Mother of little cubs", to which Steve immediately replied: " It's a soft toy in a tree" Was so amused by his words that I could not stop laughing, and even today as I looked again at those images I realised how appropriate (and funny) his reply was.

By the way, this lioness is the proud mother of those two little cubs I shared with you recently. As you can see she had a truly copious meal before she climbed up there to enjoy the afternoon sun. Well, two meals, to be correct... that Sunday she had a warthog for lunch and the previous day an adult wildebeest was on the menu. I guess this explains the belly index and her need for a more comfortable seat...

I have various images from this sighting, unfortunately cannot share them all at once Bear in mind it is winter here, the light is really sweet at about 16:30 and thereafter fades rather quickly. This is one of the first frames I took in sweet light, a bit of a heavy crop as I wanted to eliminate a number of tree branches and get closer to my subject. So yes a little tight at the top, I do have others you might find more aesthetically pleasing.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 1000
    F7.1
    SS 1/2000s
    EV +0.3

Thank you so much for taking the time to view as well as for your comments and suggestions on my previous images - I really appreciate it

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 06-27-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely light indeed, and I love the relaxed pose (or more accurately - the digesting pose!). I agree with you that the comp is top-heavy, but also understand why you chose so. I'd probably get rid of the single bug near the face (I'd keep them in if there were many of them).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Daniel, what a lovely surprise to see you here, thank you for viewing and kind comments/suggestions

The vertical branch on the RHS made it a little difficult for me to add canvas. I do have other images taken from various angles and with smaller lenses, some I think worked better ( despite the number of little branches here and there) so I plan to share them. In this case I wanted to get closer so that everyone can see the big belly and "digesting" pose, LOL

Wasn't sure whether I should eliminate the bug but I think you're right: it is so small and looks like a "dust bunny", does not really add to the image.

Glad you enjoyed the scene, hope it brought a smile to your face

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I love this because it shows an aspect we rarely see in the Wildlife Forum, especially of this subject.

Personally I haven't a problem with the framing or balance, would it improve if on this occasion the lioness was looking at camera, perhaps, but I do feel this has a very 'commercial' POV. Techs look solid and to me being HH going for a faster SS was a good choice.

As an option, I think you can get a bit more separation between subject & habitat, albeit bathed in warm light and so going a fraction cooler and adding a little bit more of a Curves midtone creates a little more 'pop'.

TFS and share more of this encounter.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve,

Will look into the midtones, and I think I might have some images with the lioness looking straight at the camera. As well as some with her sleeping, LOL

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 06-28-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image is wonderful, the memory is priceless. Truly a pleasure to view, a sign of hope in a dark tunnel. The techs I shall leave to Steve, I have found his suggestions spot on in helping me. Thank you for sharing, Gabriela.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I was in the process of commenting on this lovely post when BPN went offline but really glad to be back with you all once again.

I loved the pose and the lighting condition especially the warm feel to it. Also an unusual moment, one i have never witnessed nor seen before. I would have liked some more space at the top of the lioness but still works as presented. Nice details and PP work as always.

Hope to see more of your work Gabriela.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Joe and Haseeb,

I am so relieved BPN is back and we have access to our Forums Glad you both enjoyed this, thought it was more of an unusual sighting so decided to share.

Sanjeev, there's more at the top but I really wanted a "neat image" - a number of thin branches above the lioness' head spoilt that effect for me so I chose to do a heavier crop.

And Joe, I am just as thankful for Steve's advice as you are He spends a great deal of time helping members and his contribution to BPN is exceptional.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty nice frame of this lioness. Like the way the lion is perched in the tree with that full belly hanging down. The vertical framing works very well. Sweet light with nice detail. Image quality looks very good for a large crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much, John
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ...what a funny pose of this lioness .
    Lovely light and the frame works , very cool !!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Boetie Andreas,

Would have loved to see her go up that tree, with that big belly of hers...I guess it was the most comfortable spot she could find

I have hundreds of images of her from this sighting. When the light was fading I went for smaller lenses, like the 300 and 200-400. Will share some more over time, don't want to bore you with just lion images.

Have a lovely week-end, thank you for viewing and comments.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea