Thread: Northern Fulmar

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Fulmar

Attached Images Attached Images

Around three weeks ago on Flatey Island, Iceland while sitting on a carpet of mosses at the top edge of a rocky cliff hoping to see Puffin nest building, this Northern Fulmar landed not three feet from me on the edge of the cliff. Needless to say I was very happy with his relaxed disposition. I slowly slid back a bit, simultaneously zooming out to 160mm to give him a little more environment. We both were very relaxed as he was giving me some nice poses. Didn't see any Puffins that morning. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 160mm, 1/3200s, f 7.1, ISO 2000, Handheld. Conditions were extremely windy, cold and overcast.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice close encounter. Good exposure and detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice opportunistic shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always nice to have a encounter like this. Like the composition overall. Out of focus foreground is nice.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful exposure colours and composition, my only slight reservation is that the fulmar seems to be looking forwards and downwards, a little more eye engagement would have been good.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Who needs puffins when this is the consolation prize... I love everything about this canvas... The OOF flora FG, the detailed shades of grey in the subject and the OOF BG... TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great opportunity you were handed here! In normal conditions you probably did not need that high an ISO, but reading about the strong winds you were likely fighting it off pushing against your lens hence the need for more SS. Great job with the whites, and great thinking in backing away slowly and zooming out (did you get the chance at tight close ups before doing so?). I'm wondering if a bit of CCW rotation would help - likely what Jon is seeing as well. Super stuff here!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    What a great opportunity you were handed here! In normal conditions you probably did not need that high an ISO, but reading about the strong winds you were likely fighting it off pushing against your lens hence the need for more SS. Great job with the whites, and great thinking in backing away slowly and zooming out (did you get the chance at tight close ups before doing so?). I'm wondering if a bit of CCW rotation would help - likely what Jon is seeing as well. Super stuff here!
    Thanks Daniel. I could have done some tight close ups after I backed up, but it didn't cross my mind at the time. On your suggestion I did some CCW rotation. I think it looks better.

Geoffrey

Name:  ©-2019-Geoffrey-Montagu_DSC4296cnnf-Flatey-Island-Northern-Fulmar.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  478.7 KB