Thread: Little Lions

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Lions

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

My companion and I spent Sunday morning following those little ones and their mother as she was moving them to a new location. We did not get too close, the cubs were delightful and playful but very skittish and weary of strange noises and vehicles. When they stopped to rest we parked the game viewer at some distance and observed them

Here is one image I managed to capture at about 7 am, lighting conditions were not good but I did my best under the circumstances.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500F4
    ISO 4000
    F5.6
    1/1600s

Many thanks for viewing as well as for your comments and suggestions on my previous images - I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What cuties, and I like the chosen competition as you get a good sense for how small they are with the in focus grasses. Glint in eye is great. On one hand, the cub in the back is not super ideal with it looking away, but on the other hand this is what the young ones seem to do, so it adds a bit of fun. I could see a version with some points added to the blacks, especially the tails. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, you are making me jealous, it was almost a year ago I was there shooting, but it now seems a lifetime away.

I like the 'small in frame' as it emphasises the scale and how small these cubs are. The shooting distance has also created a nice low, POV and the cub looking back is beautiful. At 4000 ISO I might have expected a bit more, what did the Histogram look like? Perhaps a little off the top????

I could see a version with some points added to the blacks, especially the tails.
    Hi Alex, I always have a smile when I see this, because folk in Avian often say this, but I'm not quite sure what a 'point' is in the scale of a slider???? Unless you do it as an Adjustment layer you will add as a Global adjustment and so anything that is 85-100% will just fill in loosing detail. Very few elements I feel are black, they are shades of black and so here I think Gabriela has it about right. If you look at the face you have the blacks & darks in the face balanced and so the tail in it's nature, will be slightly lighter. Just my take, but this is where I feel images can go the wrong way because that subtle detail is then lost because they push these sliders.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- This is super cute. I loved the look back from the cub and that glitter in its eye. As mentioned above i too like the framing , the small in frame really helps to convey how small these cubs are. I think you have done well given the lighting conditions and skittish behaviour. Techs are good and so is your PP work, I feel everything works fine here. Just wish that cub in the bkg also glanced in your direction.

A very nice image. TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Alex, Steve and Haseeb for your kind comments and suggestions:)

Steve, I will drop you a mail with a screen shot of the histogram. And maybe a couple of images to make you more jealous ... time to plan another trip to Africa

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela you alway try to catch emotions .......and it seems to work ......
    Another example is coming along with this cuties , the look back is priceless good and no need for the other one to look back too . Framing does work , as does the overall tones and color .
    I like this one !!!

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too cute. The cubs small in the frame works well because they are small. Like the composition overall and that nice look back pose on the front one. Nice and sharp with good detail all around.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Andreas and John,

Indeed, I like to capture expressions and emotions, glad it's working

Hope you have a great rest of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a super cute image of the cub. The head turn is very captivating and the other little one facing away doesn't bother much. Love the soft light and colours.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Sanjeev,

I am about to share an image of Mom as well, I think you'll like it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea