Thread: Gray Fox Kit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gray Fox Kit

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/17/19 at 6:23PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop. Gray foxes can climb trees. These fox kits figured that out and couldn't stop chasing each other up and down them. This is a black walnut tree.

Hand held, Medium crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    335mm
    ISO 8000
    f6.3
    1/320sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, really liking the encounters with the Foxes and this is pretty neat - on a tree trunk!

Kudos on pushing the ISO, good to see you feeling more comfortable in doing so and the camera didn't melt. Without being there, it's hard to say, but sometimes you can do a trade off, shoot a slightly lower ISO, faster SS and then 'lift' the image in PP, but you have to be very careful and see what the Histogram is doing, plus a bit more confident in PP.

Was the tree slightly angled or was that a slighter human error? Overall the image is quite warm and so I wonder if going a little cooler may be more reflect? If so, I feel you would gain more clarity and separation with the various elements, in addition a bit more sharpening will help. Both pose and the look back are stella!

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- I really like the pose and good to see you nailing the capture by going the high iso way. Like your previous images this image is also on yellowish side of colours, though it is subjective but i feel you need to get your WB correct in PP stage and then things move on in correct direction.

Nice image.

TFS !

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very unusual shot I love the pose. I am guessing the tree was massive and that is why we didn't see the full width of the trunk. Colours look good to me.. but I have to confess I took the image into PSCC and lowered the colour temp a fraction and adjusted magenta and blue...and it does look better. Had it not been suggested it would not have occurred to me.

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Guys, just my take FWIW, however John it would be really good to get your input here.

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome capture, John! Just how high did this little fox climb up the tree? Very special sighting and I am so glad you shared it with us

Wonderful pose ( kit seems a little surprised, LOL) and I love the eye contact. Composition is great. Good thinking in the field, glad to see you push the ISO again. Steve's RP looks more natural in terms of colour and subject appears sharper with more detail.
    I absolutely love this little one, have you got more from this sighting? Really enjoyed viewing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Folks.

Steve the tree is very big and gets thinner the furthur up you go so has a slight lean at the bottom where this kit is. The camera melting comment made me laugh pretty good. What did you do on the edges of the repost? Is that a vignette you added? Also up the exposure a tad?

Gabriela this kit is about 8-10 feet of the ground. I am on the bank opposite of it. The kit is just a little above my eye level. This is the best one from that day. Best pose and eye contact. Hard to keep up with the four little ones running up and down this tree non stop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The camera melting comment made me laugh pretty good.
    Excellent, glad you took it in the spirt.

What did you do on the edges of the repost? Is that a vignette you added?
    On the LHS of the tree was just an exposure blend mode in PS with a Gradient layer mask, the RHS was just darken a tad and very crudely removed some of the brighter 'blobs'. Rotated the tree and let PS calculate the areas that needed filling in. Yep, up the exposure and more layer masks to bring a bit more depth/detail our of the kitten and finally ran some sharpening in selective areas.

Obviously the higher ISO you will loose Dynamic Range, but I think you did well, I just would like to find out more to why your images have this yellow/warm cast. The turkey image is really hiding a lot of detail in the habitat.

14. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was jealous at your last posting, but this is awesome. Nice composition, IQ, and awesome pose. I like what Steve has done, maybe somewhere between the two. I see so few gray fox photos taken on the east coast, so very special, especially a kit. Hope to see more of them. TFS

16. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post