Thread: Perfect Downstroke?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Perfect Downstroke?

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image of a Roseate Spoonbill at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, image captured at 280mm
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 280 Auto 1 WB HH
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped and canvas added for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect for me Joe. Really beautiful and great light. I have always been fascinated with spoonbills have only seen them a couple of times. TFS

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect downstroke. In a perfect world, the far wing would have been completely hidden behind the near-wing. The colors look a bit muddy -- was this a fairly large crop? Head and sun angles right on.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Perfect downstroke. In a perfect world, the far wing would have been completely hidden behind the near-wing. The colors look a bit muddy -- was this a fairly large crop? Head and sun angles right on.

with love, a
    Hey Artie, thanks for viewing and commenting. Not sure if this would be a big crop, the bird was positioned in the top of the frame so what I cropped off the bottom was canvas added to the top. Here is the image as out of the camera. Underexposed as I was photographing birds in the pond when I saw this one take off and fly by.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I started again with the RAW file. Paying attention to the colors and exposure. I think this edit is better.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me this would be a perfect downstroke. The light looks nice and i like the composition. The head looks a touch soft.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing the original. You did a good job adding canvas and re-positioning the subject. I usually love the IQ of your D-500 photos but this one looks somewhat suspect with a lack of fine detail and the slightly muddy colors that I mentioned before.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The wing position is indeed spot-on! The light and exposure is also very nice. I'm a bit sceptical towards the rest though.
    I would have prefered a better background with less blue sky. But the main problem for me is that the head and the near wing seems blurry. A bit more dof might have helped you here.

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.

I concur with all that commented on the image sharpness and color. Mistakes in post processing. Regarding the sharpness/detail, guess a senior error, I forgot to sharpen the image. Guess I was concentrating on why the colors were muddy and just forgot that step. Here is a repost hopefully better on both counts. Thanks again for another set of eyes and your comments.
    Joe Przybyla

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post