Thread: Watching the sunrise - common loon and chick

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Watching the sunrise - common loon and chick

Attached Images Attached Images

This pair was captured last week. It was 6:14 in the morning, the sun was just coming over the tree line.

D4. 600VR. 1/250s, ISO 450 f/4. Taken from the bottom of my little boat

Post: Mild crop for comp. Cleaned up a few spots in water. Selective sharpening.

Advice and comments always appreciated .

This one is bitter sweet for me, as this was the last day I saw the chick alive. He had lost his sibling a few days earlier, which is not unusual for only one chick to survive, but this one was large enough he should have had an excellent chance to make it. I came back a couple days later, and I knew something was wrong at once, as the adults seemed a bit frantic, and were searching the shore line, giving the soft hoots they do when calling for their chick.

I don't know what happened, could have been predation, although I have never seen an eagle on this lake, and he was a bit big to be at risk from a pike or other predatory fish. Possibly a large snapping turtle. Or some health issue, but he had been growing like a weed.

The lesson learned, is to cherish every moment you have in life, as it can be gone in an instant.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet, sweet light, great subject; your signature foreground fade into background. And a bittersweet story. Is this the only pair on the lake?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Great pose on the adult and chick. The light is nice as well. Really like that green water.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent light, detail, pose, and point of view. Nothing to complain about here

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Serenity personified and photographically perfect. Bummer on the lost chick. At least five loon nests failed at Basket Lake during my recent visit. Anita is going to build some loon nest platforms for next year but not sure that they will help as there are lots of predators up there.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is beautiful Randy. Very well done, it's very pleasing to the eye. I would have this printed big, in remembrance of the lost chick.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, sweet shot, colors, BG, water, chick, light and angle, very nice.

-Tim