Thread: Snowy Egret striking

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Egret striking

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the Fall 2018 DeSoto IPT on the morning of Septemeber 26, 2018. Standing at full height behind my tripod, I used the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR lens and the mega mega-pixel Nikon D850 DSLR. ISO 400. Matrix metering at about zero: 1/4000 sec. at f/6.3 in Manual mode was perfect with the histogram pushed all the way to the right. AUTO1 WB at 7:41am on a clear morning.

Nikon Focus Peaking fine-tune value: +5. See the Nikon AF Fine-tune e-Guide here.

One to the right of center Group (grp) Continuous (C in Nikon/AI Servo with Canon) AF was active at the moment of exposure. The array was centered on the bird’s neck right on the same plane as the eye. (Note: today I would use d9 AF for images like this.)

To see the original check out the My Two Favorite Backgrounds. And in search of soft, out-of-focus blue water ... blog post here. You might learn a lot about image clean-up ...

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are appreciated.

with love,
    artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Perfect whites, nice action with splash, but still clear view of eye. Clean background. All good.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer shot Artie! Hats off!

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action here Artie, I like the colors and the background which complement the entire photo.
    I noticed some spots on the bird's feather. They are natural or are some artifacts?
    TFS...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The whites look perfect and the intensity of the eye is superb. For me the action or water burst is what catches the eye.Only thing I would do is add a little room behind, I know doesn't really matter what is happening in the rear.
    Just seems a little tight IMO.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just about perfect. The image clean-up was well worth it. The splashing action is rather appealing as well.

Florin, to answer for Artie, the "spots" on the plumage is from the water movement below reflecting patterns upwards and onto the egret. I've had that happen to some of my images as well and find it pretty neat.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris, Florin Sandu thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer shot Artie. Beautiful action, two tone BG and splash. The clean up was worth it, and impressive. TFS

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Florin Sandu View Post
    Nice action here Artie, I like the colors and the background which complement the entire photo.
    I noticed some spots on the bird's feather. They are natural or are some artifacts?TFS...
    Thanks Florin. The greyish areas are called "caustics," -- the rippling reflection of the low angled sun off the water. Similar to what you see when swimming in a pool on a sunny day.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

14. Thanks Florin Sandu thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

superb exposure value here getting the darker areas and the plumage just right. I am enjoying the splash and the composition with the blue fading into orange green background. the cleanup job looks to be a lot of work but well worth it. Well done!

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post