Thread: Wren

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wren

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Been absent here for a bit, lots of travel and work, but hopefully have some good stuff to share now and after upcoming trips...

To start though, I got a chance to photograph a pair of wren that were very busy hunting for their chicks. I was amazed at some of the bugs they were bringing back, but I think this one takes the cake. Most of the shots I got were taken in overcast / rainy conditions in the shade, so generally all high ISO. Slight crop, NR on bird and BG. There is some posterization on the background when I downsize -- I think it's just unavoidable with these dark green backgrounds.

Edit to add that I double processed the top of the bug and it's legs by about -1 stop more than the rest of frame.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 500mm f/4 + 1.4 TC
    Specs: 1/500 f/5.6 ISO 4,000

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Becker; 06-20-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done. You did a great job of paralleling the subject to maximize d-o-f. And a fine job with the processing. Where? Is this a Carolina Wren?

Any clues as to what the bug is ???

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose on the bird, and that's before we get to the big bonus of the bug and the behaviour!

I'm mulling over a D500 from a 1dx and seeing this at ISO 4000 isn't making my choice any more straightforward!

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Well done. You did a great job of paralleling the subject to maximize d-o-f. And a fine job with the processing. Where? Is this a Carolina Wren?

Any clues as to what the bug is ???

with love, artie
    Thanks Artie, this was taken locally in PA. Pretty sure it's a Carolina wren given the white band on the head. The bug I think is either a house or camel cricket, but not sure. I thought camel crickets had longer antenna than house but a quick google search isn't showing up anything.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Great pose on the bird, and that's before we get to the big bonus of the bug and the behaviour!

I'm mulling over a D500 from a 1dx and seeing this at ISO 4000 isn't making my choice any more straightforward!

Mike
    Thanks Mike -- I was blown away at the size of bugs these birds were routinely catching.

I really like my D500 and am impressed with the low light performance, especially for a crop body. I generally find the low light files pretty straight forward to process, especially when the subject is close like this. With that said, I've always been super impressed by the really high ISO 1dx v1 and v2 files posted here and wildlife, so definitely a tough decision.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat capture Alex, just would have liked the framing to be a little lower, it's a tad tight for me at the foot.

I think you could just add a little 'Burn' adjustment to the legs, to gain a tad more definition. Good thinking on double processing, hopefully via Smart objects??? I like the BKG, provides a lovely separation, but assuming this is through LR so you will have that added contrast. NR looks bang on, so nice PP overall.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have Nikon d500 too and I admit that the highest I photographed was at iso 2500. I am impressed with what you did at iso 4000. Congratulations!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way cool prey item, and the wren even gave you a perfect head angle to show it off. Terrific BG. Although it is looking up, I would still have preferred the subject a bit higher in the frame than as presented. Perhaps a touch more warmth to the WB as well. All else is super, and I am glad you will be posting again.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, Alex. No nits from me. Regarding the dark green backgrounds, they always seem to have posterization. Not sure why. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love, love the bug and those looong...antenna!
    Do you have a bit more room on the bottom?
    I like how the low POV emphasizes the feet.
    Great frame!
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic shot Alex. Wish I had it. Love the dark background and for sure the bug adds greatly. Great details and sharpness. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back. Very nice frame of this wren. Love that bug. Background makes the bird stand out nicely. Yes more room below would be nice. Still nice frame overall.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose from the bird is spot on and perfectly sharp. Nice clean background, light and perch too.
    As already noted more room below would be nice as well as taking some of the top. I think rasing the temperature by a tad would improve the image as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, much appreciated. Unfortunately no more room below, but I have some other shots of this bird that are a bit more balance, albeit no bug this impressive. I'll take another look at the WB and warm it up a bit. Best,