Thread: Gray Fox

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gray Fox

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/12/19 at 6:39PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop. Caught a nice glimpse of this gray fox while waiting on some deer one evening.

Hand held, Medium crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    500mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/500sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, a great encounter and it's always nice to have the occasional bonus too.

I quite like the framing/POV John, perhaps a little more below would be better, but not sure, albeit a crop, you have the image content? I also like the jaunty angle of the head, as if he/she is trying to look around and past you, rather than at you. Again, the image has a yellow basis/cast/warmth to it, so based on the OP going to the left on the WB & Tint slider does help. I would also look when exporting to PS the Colour balance adjustment layer, as that may help resolve some of the ongoing colour shifts, but move each slider to the R & L to gauge what affect they have and so you may need to back track on a slider, it's just a case often of 'toggling'. As presented I think it's also following in the footsteps of Bob's, a bit too over sharp and crunchy, which is strange considering your Avian images.

Hope the RP helps in the direction I feel the image should take, albeit the fur still has tinges of yellow in the whites of the face. You have some great finds John, just take time in PP and may be try reviewing the image the following day prior to posting, it may help because you can always refine it.

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 06-17-2019 at 09:40 AM.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John well this is a lovely encounter i think , and you did well in capture !!!

In terms of color and tone i can only echo Steve´s suggestions and comment .

Lovely work in the field ...with some refinements in PP workflow you might be able to get better end results .

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- Like above i too am in agreement with them. I loved this specie and the head on pose.

I always look posts from fellow BPN members for a while when there is a RP to compare and I must say Steve's RP really lifts this image. Your recent images has some colour shifts here and there and i believe you can easily overcome that problem.

A nice image. TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet sighting John. Very unusual to see one of these out in the day, so I am very jealous. Steve's RP does make a difference. Great stare from the fox, and you can get a sense of the size difference from their red counter parts. TFS

8. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Picture. The fox looks sharp and I really like the pose/expression it has. The little yellow flowers in the background are also a good touch.

10. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post